This Disappears When Logged In

New Arachno Pet.

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by titus, Apr 24, 2010.

1. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Well, I've never cared for scorpions, not out of fear, but more there looks. A friend of mine who keeps them was set out to change that an gave me one of his Heterometrus species. The exact species is unknown but thought to be H. petersii. An on to pictures.

Attached Files:

2. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Wow it looks huge. :)

3. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Very nice! I just think they look like smallish lobsters! I think you will find them a treat to keep- so much easier than most of your other choices. We think ours are so cool! I hear little truck excavating noises, in my head, whenever I watch them move :eek:.

4. titus

It's not really that big. If I had to make a guess I would say 4 inches nose to tail tip. this genus doesn't get too big.

They do look a lot like Lobsters. As a kid we caught crayfish so I can see that. I can't see them being much easier than tarantulas, aside from that with this species if I get stung it won't be as bad as a bite from my Poecilotheria's.

5. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Oh I had no idea, just showing my ignorance this morning,LOL.
    Thanks for the info! :)

6. titus

Sorry, I think what I said came out sounding a bit rough. I could see why anyone would think it's bigger. Close up pictures have that effect. Without something for scale it could be 20 feet right?

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If I remember correctly, aren`t scorpions distantly related to lobsters etc? And if it were 20feet long, would you still have given it a home? ;)

8. titus

I don't remember if their related, I would like to say not because that would mean that spiders are also related to lobsters. I would have had to pass on a 20 foot scorpion. I don't even think a 15 foot snake would make it in my house no matter the temptation.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think spiders are also related to lobsters, believe it or not, I finished a course not too long ago, and I`m still not 100% sure if I`ve got this right! (I`ll check and get back to you).
    Edit: Yes, scorpions are arthropods, just like crabs, lobsters and spiders etc!

10. Flint

Flint Elite Member

Arthropod is a very broad term. It includes just about everything with an exoskeleton. Meaning insects, spiders, scorps, lobsters and crabs. Those last 4 are connected more closely in that they are all arachnids.

11. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Very cool looking scorpion! You have a black light for him yet?

12. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Titus: No worries! :)

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Wow, it is a handsome creature.

14. titus

Thanks for the replies everyone. I haven't got a black-light yet but I have some LEDs coming to convert a mini maglite to UV. I found the species and he's apparently a H. laoticus.