This Disappears When Logged In

New AFT is Not Eating, Please Help...

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by enigami, Jan 3, 2014.

1. enigami

enigami Member

Ok, I'm new to AFT Geckos and instead of doing enough research before picking one up, I went off of the pet store owners advice and I feel like it got my new AFT "Tiki" started off on the wrong foot. The Pet store shop owner told me I was able to house my AFT with a Leo, they got along fine and laid next to one another and often on top of each other, but Tiki just wouldn't eat. I have since done more research and now understand though similar they are definitely different, they are quite a bit more shy and require more humidity and seem to be slightly pickier eaters from what I understand. Today I relocated Tiki from the 30gal which I have my Leo in, to his own 15gal in hopes this will reduce stress and spark his appetite? I have thus far tried gut loaded meal worms, small crickets, and wax worms. Now in his new enclosure tonight Im going to try some large sized crickets? I went back to the pet store and asked how the other AFT he had were doing and if they were eating regularly, he said yes and that he was feeding them small crickets. It has been two weeks and I don't think he has been eating? It was hard to tell as I had him originally housed with my Leo, but I have never witnessed him eat and my Leo is a chow hound.
    His new enclosure is a 15gal tank, Eco Earth Substrate, a really large hide on the warm side directly over the heat pad with a inside temp of 94.3C (is this to warm?) on the cool side a Tupperware container with paper towel for a moist hide with a temp of 74.3C he also has a nice log with a great hiding spot underneath, a fairly good sized water dish, 2in1 meal worm/calcium dish, and some plants nicely arranged for cover. I have it all arranged quite nicely and he has plenty of room to hang out and get around despite being only 15 gal. Im really worried about him, and not really sure what else to try.

2. enigami

enigami Member

I will try to post photos tomorrow when lighting is better, he was just walking around which is a good sign, he hopped into his water bowl took a sip and went back into his warm hide.

3. enigami

enigami Member

UPDATE!!! So, I tried a meal worms, wax worms, and small crickets.... tonight I tried Large Crickets and WOW!!! he almost exploded out of his hide and devoured 6 Large Crickets in a matter of seconds and is prowling for more. I'm a little dumbfounded that he went so crazy for these things when he just ignored the small crickets completely. Im ecstatic to say the least to see him eat and looking fwd to putting some weight on him, I will try some Superworms and Dubia roaches next. :)

4. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

AFTs can definitely be picky eaters for sure, and yes, it is not uncommon for them to reject too small of prey. Glad to hear he ate for you. :)
    Don't be too surprised if he doesn't take to supers or dubias though. Definitely give it a shot, but many AFTs will only eat one food item.