This Disappears When Logged In

New African Sideneck Turtle Set-up and Questions! :D

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by CourtneyAnn, Oct 26, 2013.

1. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

Hey, everyone! So I'm new to turtles. I just got a new African Sideneck turtle yesterday. I'm fairly confident it's a female. She's in a 40 gallon iso. tank (her 100 gal. is prepped, but I like to isolate to keep a closer eye on new guys for about a week).

Set-up; 40 gal., medium stones (about the size of a dime to a nickle) for main substrate sloping so deeper areas and shallower areas, dry basking area, UVB, night heat, day heat, water heater, filter.

Temps; Water: 78 F, Average Daytime: 80 F, Basking: 85 F, Average Nighttime: 75 F.

If anyone has any suggestions on improving the set-up I'd love to hear them! :) Her 100 gal is set up just like the 40 gal (but scaled up, of course).

Also, she hasn't eaten since I brought her home. I've offered crickets, aquatic turtle pellets and lettuce so far. I've had snakes (still have snakes) and I know they may not eat at first so an unsuccessful feeding or two is not the end of the world. I have left her alone other than to offer food (left the lettuce and pellets in a food-bowl so he could graze if he liked; replaced the lettuce every 12 hrs so far). So far that I can tell, though, she hasn't eaten anything.

I was kind of wondering if this is normal as they get settled in? Will he repeat when I move her to her new home? (the iso tanks are in my room, so it is somewhere I can keep a close eye on my new arrivals until their first vet visit and a clean bill of health is given).

Here's a pic of her. ;) Let me know what you think? Oh! And name ideas?

Turtle 1.jpg

2. mayhmmaydn

mayhmmaydn Elite Member

It could just be stress, she could have eaten something blocking her too. um.. I would have gone for much bigger rocks because she will eventually be able to mouth those pebbles and possibly swallow them causing blockage. make sure her basking temps are right for her. she may just need to get used to things. None of my turtles were very thrilled for about a week after getting them and change isn't all that fun for them. be careful putting your hands around her and always move slowly till she gets used to you. Sounds like you have the ISO set up ok for now. COngrats!

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Have you tried live fish?

4. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

mayhmmaydn: Thanks! I never thought of that. I'll get larger rocks tomorrow. :) You think it would be okay if I just put a layer on top? Or should I remove all of the current ones and replace them?

Thalatte: Nope, haven't tried live fish yet. Thanks for the idea! :) Is there a rule of thumb for size of them? Like there is for prey to snake size?

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I just try to get fishes that are smaller than the turtles head.

6. CourtneyAnn

CourtneyAnn Elite Member

Ok :) Thank you. She's started to show a little more interest in food today. :)

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

very nice.