This Disappears When Logged In

New Adoption

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by dfeneck, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not too bad! I've seen rescues in FAR worse shape. And I do believe you are correct, the cage needs an upgrade.

2. dfeneck

dfeneck Elite Member

yea i drew up some plans cause i had an idea to turn the closet in my room into 4 cages that will be 6'X2'X1'6" (LxWxH) it will basically be like a stack of cages built into my wall :) pretty cool huh?

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

crafty idea for making the hide viewable.

4. dfeneck

dfeneck Elite Member

hey guys i have some possible bad news....i took her out for the first time today and was letting her roam around and i noticed a slight weeze that randomly happens, its not every time she breathes but just every once in a while this is the first time ive noticed this so far. her temp is about 85-95 day time and about 80 at night....i really hope its not a respitory infection, oh and btw theres no bubbles or mucus around her mouth. thanks in advance for any help

5. Merlin

With larger boas there are times when you will hear them exhale. Its almost like a soft hiss.
    As you said it's isn't a constant thing but just every once in a while.

6. dfeneck

dfeneck Elite Member

so if it was a URI it would be constant correct?

7. Merlin

pretty much.

8. dfeneck

dfeneck Elite Member

ok good haha that makes me feel ALOT better...i think shes finally settled in because since i held her shes just been moving around in her cage and just not sitting in her hide all day like she used to, also i raised the temp a little since i wanna be sure its not a URI i just turned up the temp to high 90s and dropped the humidity a little

9. Merlin

Raising the temperature is fine but keep the humidity at about normal levels.
    It was once recommended that lowering the humidity would help with a RI but that line of thought has changed.

10. dfeneck

dfeneck Elite Member

[​IMG] finally got a good pic of her..i also measured her and shes 5'3'"!! also ill put up some pics of the new cage im duilding in my closet which is gonna be 6 feet long 2 feet deep and 5 feet high :)

11. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

I would loooove to adopt a second snake but I have no more room :( and i'm sort of scared of boas a little...she is pretty though :) but I think a ball python is the max size for me right now :) you were lucky to get her free.

12. dfeneck

dfeneck Elite Member

I beleive she was more lucky to be given to me for free haha didnt look like she had a bright future with her previous owner

13. bleachii

bleachii Active Member

Looks very close to the size of my boa. Think Sampson is about 5'8" to 5' 10" but in terms of thickness and head size...very similar. Always good news when any animal finds their way to a good owner.

14. dfeneck

dfeneck Elite Member

Hey guys, I was talking to my dad today about converting my closet into a large cage for my boa and he was really into it so now my only question is would it be cool to do like the rock look using "great stuff" and adding large logs and greenary for him to climb on and making it look really cool or is it not worth it to make it look good because it will be for such a large snake who just destroys anything in its path haha also post any pics if youve made a nige large realistic looking cage for your boa!!

15. Merlin

Its going to be expensive to cover that large of a space in the Great Stuff! But if that is what you want, go for it. Personally I would just paint a mural on the walls or some such.

Large logs and maybe a rock or two will be fine but keep in mind that the fancier it is the harder it will be to keep clean. You can get artificial vines to warp around the log but make sure that they are wrapped tightly or the snake WILL find a way to get under them.
    I would also suggest that the floor be covered in lineoleum and that the lineoleum wrap up the base of the wall by a few inches in case the snake dumps the water tub or dumps OTHER things!;)
    Big snakes make BIG messes!

16. dfeneck

dfeneck Elite Member

haha yea i was thinking the same with the linoleum. also since the enclosure was going to be the upper half of my closet i would recess the waterbowl into the ground to avoid any spill issues of that sort haha also about the rock wall, i can get foam sheets that are 2" thick and 4' x 8' for pretty cheep because my bro has them at his work so i was thinking about using those and just putting the paint thinner on it and kind of hand sculpting a little to make it look like rick then putting the grout over it

17. Merlin

Just as a background feature that would work. However if you are planning ledges for the snake to climb on I doubt it would support the weight.

18. dfeneck

dfeneck Elite Member

oh no haha sorry i wasnt clear about that im gonna draw up some plans now so ill post a pic in few minutes so you can all get a good idea

19. dfeneck

dfeneck Elite Member

[​IMG]
    so this is my plan as of now there will be the floor with substrate then a log going to the first level which will have a small lip around the whole shelf so it can hold substrate as well and then the same with the second level then the whole back will be made of the rock material

20. Merlin

I wouldn't worry about the shelves having substrate on them. It won't stay anyway with the snake moving around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.