This Disappears When Logged In

New Adoption

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by dfeneck, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dfeneck

dfeneck Elite Member

Hey guys, I was surfing craigslist the other day andI do this from time to time to see if anyone's giving away any reptiles. Well I found a guy who wants to get rid of his 4 1/2 foot red tail that comes with tank and heating for FREE. Everything just free, so how couldn't I take this snake haha. Well I just got a few questions before I go to pick it up this weekend. 1) The snake is coming in a 40 gallon breeder so I think he's good for now in that tank but I obviously know he will need a MUCH larger cage so what is the recommended cage size for an adult red tail. 2) If I get the snake and he/she has a bad temper is it to late to try and reverse it or is he/she still young enough where regular handling will make it more comfortable and calm ?

Thanks in advance.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

40 gallon breeder can hold him for a bit. Eventually you should probably go with a custom enclosure. I actually have 2 of my boas in 40 gallon breeders at this time. I will be building 8' x 3' x 2' enclosures for all of them. As far as temperment, some snakes can be calmed down with repetitive handling while others may never be. You just can't tell until you try. Good luck and post pics.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A 40 gal breeder isn't going to be big enough for very long!
    Anytime you "adopt" an older animal, its a big gamble. You have no way of knowing whether the animal has any health problems or if it has been abused to the point where it views humans as the most evil thing on the face of the planet.
    You have to ask yourself a couple of questions. If the animal is injured or ill, do YOU have the financial capability of paying for vet bills, possibly a lot of them!
    If it does turn out to be aggressive, are you capable of dealing with trying to tame it and if it is beyond taming what are you going to do with a large aggressive snake that wants to bite you.
    Is there anyone else who is going to be capable of (and willing to) helping you deal with it if it is aggressive. This snake is not far from the point where it won't be safe for only one person to handle it.
    You also have to consider the potential adult size of the snake. Do you have the capability of housing and feeding a 14ft plus snake?

4. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

I just want to put in an agreement with Merlin's comment. I see Red Tails up for adoption constantly, free or really cheap, and there's a reason for this. They get very large, so their enclosure, lighting and food expenses can become very expensive. Most people buy them when they are little and don't take this into account, and then become desperate to get rid of them when they get 4-8 feet in length.

When that's the case, there's also a very good chance that it could come to you malnurished or aggressive.

Even with aggressive adults, you can work on their temperament so that they are calmer when you handle them, but it takes a lot of patience and work and the snake can be very intimidating.

If you have the money, and know-how and time to really work with the snake, I'd say go for it. They are lovely animals. But if you were just looking for any reptile that's being given away, you may want to think twice about this one.

Look for ball pythons, corn snakes, or leopard geckos on craigslist. They are often offered for cheap or free with all of their stuff included and would be much easier to work with than a red tail. Just a suggestion, though. ;)

5. dfeneck

dfeneck Elite Member

Well as of right now I have 2 ball pythons and a corn snake, also it's more of a me and my friends adopting it since we all will split any expenses so that cuts any possible costs down alot as well as i will have me and 3 other people helping to tame the snake if needed cause we all share an apartment and a love for reptiles so I think it will be much easier since im in the position I'm in with all the help

p.s. I was planning on getting a vision cage (v400 model which is 48 x 26 x 14) which I've heard is just enough for an adult RTB is this fine or should I go bigger, I know its always better to have a bigger cage but I wanna know like a minimum size cage that would be good

6. Merlin

That should be fine. My female boa is 6 ft and lives in a 48x24x18 custom enclosure.

7. dfeneck

dfeneck Elite Member

worse case scenario i can buy a bigger cage im not orried about the money im just more worried about whether or not the snake is healthy as of right now :/ i really hope it is

8. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

:) Sorry about that. Never can be sure how much experience a person has. (I should have looked up your other posts.)

Well, maybe someone who isn't as experienced will see that and do some extra research. ;)

9. bleachii

bleachii Active Member

Good luck with your new friend! I did the same thing about 9 months ago. Free 4+ ft boa with all the stuff. The snake snapped at the owner 2 times and he had had enough. Other than that the owner took very good care of 'Sampson'. He wanted him to go to someone who would look after him properly.

When i read your post I had to look to see if it was my post someone had revitalized. Obviously you have experience...and as long as you treat it as a long term commitment you are most likely the best person for the snake. Having all the help is even better.

I have had nothing but good experiences with my boa so far. He is now over 5ft and is moving into a new custom 6' critter condo tomorrow. Picked it up last weekend at the Pomona, CA Super Reptile Show. I'm planning on this one being his final home. He is moving out of a 55 gallon which he has now pretty much outgrown.

Best of Luck!

10. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Well, some owners just always want to have teddy bears. I have a few snakes where I know what I'm in for taking them out. I bring out the snake hook and the gloves. But I couldn't think of getting rid of them some of them are the best looking of my collection.

11. Merlin

As long as you know what you may be in for and the possiblities,...go for it!

I hear you Titus! I have a couple that I can count on either to bite me or poop on me!
    Not quite sure which one I prefer!:rolleyes:

12. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

So true, I have 1 that I'll use the hook or gloves for a month or more, then I'll get complacent, go in bare handed, and BAM...tagged again. It's like she knows and needs to remind me who's tank it is.

13. leslielenee

leslielenee Elite Member

Ha Ha Ken...It's my tank, I tell my snakes. lol. but it's like they have no ears. LMAO. :eek:

14. dfeneck

dfeneck Elite Member

hey guys i picked her up today and let her be for they day just to get used to the move
    ill take some pics tomorow when i get a chance

15. Merlin

I'd let her setttle in for a week before pestering her. We can wait on the pics ;)

16. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

How did she look ? I'm assuming she was healthy and well cared for.

17. dfeneck

dfeneck Elite Member

Well right when I picked her up I went straight to the local reptile store and got her checked for mites or anything out of the ordinary because when I saw how she was being cared for I wanted to knock the kid out...it was HORRIBLE, she had a hide not even close to big enough for her, a tiny waterbowl cut from like the bottom of a milk jug with sharp edges and that stupid repticarpet covering HALF the bottom of the tank, also one of those stick on thermometers that are 100% useless. oh and a cage upgrade is coming VERY soon because i think that 40 gal breeder just isnt cutting it for a 4 1/2 foot snake...other than that she was nice when i took her out of the pillow case to put her in her cage and seems to be quite active as of this morning. pics of her IN HER CAGE coming soon :)

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

well, at least she has an owner now that CARES enough to do what it takes to give her a good home. I think we have all dealt with idiot herp owners in the past - they seem to be a plague.

Can't wait for the pics!

19. bleachii

bleachii Active Member

Congrats bud!

20. dfeneck

dfeneck Elite Member

hey guys sorry for taking forever with the pics lol ive been busy...i have one pic which isnt much but its better than nothing, ill take more pic when i get my camera back

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.