This Disappears When Logged In

New Adopter with Q's

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Rabbit16v, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabbit16v

Rabbit16v Member

yea, I got a digital thermo yesterday. it's the silver thing on the front of the tank. but Home depot and lowes were both out of the ones that have humidity readings and the pet stores around my house don't have them either. so I ordered one online this morning as well as a heating pad.

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Where in Wa are you located?

3. Rabbit16v

Rabbit16v Member

I'm in Edmonds, kinda by the kingston ferry.

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Not to far from me then. I'm up in Marysville

5. Gracelikerain18

Gracelikerain18 Elite Member

I bought two digital meters today at Home Depot for $10 ($5 each) and they both read temp and humidity.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sand is not a good substrate for BPs. Its too dry and it can irritate their belly scales.
    Not sure where you read that they liked sand but that is incorrect.

7. Maya

Maya Elite Member

Yes, I was thinking that too, I was surprised to read about the Sand substrate, Merlin's words about sand are pretty much etched in my brain. The digital thermometers sound good, I shall be looking for them.

8. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Lowes, Home depot, even Wal mart for the digitals ;)

9. Rabbit16v

Rabbit16v Member

ok so, today is feeding day and it's my first time feeding. now I have frozen mice that I am wanting to feed him, but it seems that he is having nothing to do with them. he'll slide right over it without even stopping. I tried pushing it with tongs to make it look like it's alive and I tried rubbing the mouse in chicken broth but nothing seems to be going on. been sittin there for an hour. I don't want to leave the thing in there either. any suggestions or should I feed him at night with the night lights?

10. Gracelikerain18

I feed live so I don't have any problems but I've seen in videos [try snakebytes.tv ] they'll feed them by dangling the thawed rodent in the hair above the snake. The snakes almost always snatch them right up.

11. Chris1974

Chris1974 Elite Member

So what should be used instead of sand? I read the same thing about sand being good, and am using sand as well.

Is that EcoEarth stuff any good? I was thinking about switching to that..

12. Rabbit16v

Rabbit16v Member

well, I ran back to the pet store since it's about 3 minutes away and picked up the smallest live they had. He jumped on that faster than anything I've seen. so any tips for frozen, or is there really a difference between frozen and alive rather than convenience?

13. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Live can potentially injure or even kill a snake f/t is the best way to go. There are a number of snake owners on here that have switched their snakes over and I'm sure they will post as soon as they read this thread.

And as for the substrate, I believe eco-earth, bed-a-beast are both ok. Aspen shavings are used a lot, or you could use newspaper, paper towels, linoleum, just about anything that is a non particulate (I know eco earth is a particulate but it isn't as abrasive as sand and has less of a chance to cause impaction)

14. Maya

Maya Elite Member

I went to a fabric store (or any of the handicraft stores carry it) and got some felt (100% cotton) a yard for $3.99. and for a variety I have Aspen on about 1/3 of it. I have the log hide and pond making a little wall between the two. Tiberius seems happy with this arrangement.

15. Merlin

When feeding frozen you have to make sure that it is warm and using tongs, hold it by the tail and wiggle it. I feed in the evening since BPs are nocturnal.
    For substrate I prefer aspen or cypress mulch. But I feed outside the tank.
    Maya I would be cautious about the felt. In the humidity of a BP tank its probably growing mold and fungus.

16. Gracelikerain18

I never thought about the humidity cause mold and fungus under the felt. Hmmm, good to know. Glad I stopped using it.

17. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Welcome to Hc! sorry I haven't been on all weekend!!

18. Maya

Maya Elite Member

You are absolutely right Merlin, about the concern of the mold. Although I change the felt every 2 weeks and run it through the sanitizer cycle (extra hot) in the washer. Is the astro-turf from the Pet store less prone to mold?

19. Merlin

Yes. Astroturf is basically plastic. It's The cotton in the felt(or any organic) that is the problem.

20. Rabbit16v

Rabbit16v Member

alright so, my hydrometer came in today and the heating pad also. the heat is nice and perfect now but the humidity seems low. If I'm not misting the tank down every couple hours the humidity drops down to around 40% which is not cool. anyone got any tips on how to keep it more humid, without misting very frequently, I can't be in two places at once and I'm a little worried while I'm at work or asleep. all in all he seems pretty good, nice and active and very friendly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.