This Disappears When Logged In

New Adopter with Q's

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Rabbit16v, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabbit16v

Rabbit16v Member

Hi everyone, so yesterday I picked up my friends Ball (named double B) since he is going to bootcamp and we couldn't have any animals in the barracks, in the fleet. So I offered to take him into my home as I've always wanted a snake, I've had a few iguanas in my life. I have a lot of stuff from my iguanas from the past that I kept but I just want to make sure I am not missing anything from my setup. He's only 5 months old atm so I am contempt with my 30X12X12 tank for now but I plan on replacing that with a larger permanant tank in the next few months. so far my setup has
    75w day
    50w black night
    2 water bowls
    rock den
    1 climbing tree

I'm using douglas fir bark right now, should I keep using this or switch over to astroturf? I have one temp/humidity gauge, but it's analog and I plan on picking up 2 digital gauges later today, when I am off work. I also plan on getting a timer for the lights while I'm at it. Is there anything else you would add/get ridoff from this setup? Also what food would you suggest, I was planning on frozen mice but am not set on this. I got to set everything up last night and everything is good to go the humidity Is bouncing around 60-63% at varying points during the day and its sitting at a nice 84*. I put the therm on the lowest spot I could untill I get to the store later today and get some better ones. going through the caresheet it seems like they are good numbers, but not all are the same. Would you recommend tweeking them at all? Feel more than free to give ANY tips you can conceive I'm sure I can use them. TIA.:)

2. Sinlightened

Sinlightened Elite Member

well.. the analog gauges aren't very accurate.. so I would hold of on changing anything until you get the digital ones... check the garden center of home depot/lowes for an Accu-rite indoor outdoor thermometer... picked one up for $13 last week... has a probe to read one side and reads temp/humidity off the base unit as well so you can easily monitor both sides of the enclosure... then once you get that set up, you can see what needs to be changed.. the care sheet on this site is the best one I've read.. so follow that one... if your temp is still about 84, bump it a few degrees to around 88-90 for one side of the enclosure and let it stay about 80-83 on the other side... humidity sounds spot on if the new gauge reads the same.

3. Maya

Maya Elite Member

Oooh! what fun, enjoy and welcome.

4. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I would also change the douglas bark to aspen shavings or even linoleum works good for clean up purposes ;) I would stay away from astro turf if possible (how would you like to have to squirm around on your belly on that stuff :p;))

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

6. Gracelikerain18

Gracelikerain18 Elite Member

Just to double check, Aspen is fine, but stay away from pine and cedar (because of respiratory issues) , correct? This is true for my rats.

7. Rabbit16v

Rabbit16v Member

sweet thanks for the info already. I went out to home depot and they were out of the thermo's with humidity readings in them. So I just got a digital Thermo and it's reading around 77.4, the thermometer is towards the bottom, so it's den I'm sure is several degrees more but what tips can I get for heating the outside a little bit more. I don't want to step up the bulb yet since that's gonna bring it up quite a bit higher AFAIK.

8. Gracelikerain18

Have you given thought to a heating pad? They can be mounted on the bottom or side of the aquarium that you want. I prefer the side because they tend to heat too much when on bottom. I mounted mine on the side and with a 15w red bulb it keeps the tank perfect. My boyfriend mounted his on bottom and his temp was reading over 100 degrees.

9. Rabbit16v

Rabbit16v Member

ok cool, I'll go look into those tomarrow at lunch.

10. Gracelikerain18

Also, I'm addicted to SnakeBytes.tv It's BHB (one of the largest breeders in the world) and they have some awesome videos! I've learned a lot from them!

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Aspen is fine, and if I remember correctly, Merlin said that it is only the bark of cedar and pine that is toxic BUT my memory isn't alway accurate ;) so I would stick with aspen since we KNOW that it's ok :)

12. Gracelikerain18

Actually started using sand for Mas because the ground temp wasn't staying warm enough and sand retains heat better than the Carefresh and repti-carpet I was using. I read somewhere that they liked sand but considering they are not desert creatures I think I'll try something else.

13. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

The idea you have for frozen prey is great, the only thing you may want to think about is feeding frozen/thawed rat pups or fuzzies depending on the size of the snake. I only recommend rats over mice because rats are better for the snake and provide better nourishment. Your enclosure is probably good for the snake for the rest of it's life, unless you absolutely want a larger one. Balls are fairly sedentary snakes and really only move around a lot when they are hungry, usually. I say usually because each snake is different and you will know your snake better than anyone else. As everyone else said follow the care sheet and you can't go wrong.

14. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Sorry, it's late -welcome to HCN.

Also the substrate that you use can be as elaborate or as simple as you want, personally, I use newspaper. Relatively inexpensive and easy to change out, but not very pleasing to the eye.

15. RunMickeyRun

RunMickeyRun Elite Member

My boyfriend and I use Zoo Med Eco Earth Compressed Coconut Fiber Expandable Substrate for our personal snakes and those in our rescue.

We have found that it retains moisture very well, it's easy to clean and it is aesthetically pleasing.

16. TheRoachRanch

TheRoachRanch Elite Member

You are going to love having a snake! Especially a Ball Python. Despite what some people say they are a great first snake of the Tropical variety to own! Sometimes they are finicky eaters but nothing that we can't help you with!

Enjoy!

-Ian Haggerty

17. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Post pics? :D (of the Snake and the enclosure?)

18. Rabbit16v

Rabbit16v Member

ask and ye shall receive. I didn't take him out for too long, want to let him get settled into the new tank and new places before i take him out for extended periods, but figured a photo op would be ok real fast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Beautiful! :) I like his set up too!

20. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Nice looking snake. Is that a dial thermo/hydrometeor I see?? If it is get rid of it and get a digital. Dials are very inaccurate and a digital won't cost much (I got mine at lowes for $15 here in Wa.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.