This Disappears When Logged In

New Addition, Scylla (Western Hoggie!!) Advice?

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by graduationxday, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graduationxday

graduationxday Elite Member

I got a beautiful little Western Hognose girl today from the Dixie Reptile Show in Alabama. She's about 8 or 9 inches.. normal, 66% het albino. $50. She's gorgeous :]]
    I'll get pics up as soon as she's settled in and eaten. I don't wanna disturb her too much.
    Her name's Scylla :]

I was wondering if anyone has advice for a first time hognose owner. Right now she's in a 10 gallon on shelf liner with a water bowl, not filled up too much that she could drown but big enough that she can get in it if she wants, and a rock cave hide thingie.
    I don't think they need UVB. Do they?
    She has a light for heat, but I haven't gotten the temps yet. Gonna set up a thermometer tomorrow.
    I'm going to keep her on the shelf liner until she gets a bit bigger. When she does get better, should I use aspen?
    I got a bunch of frozen pinkies. Offered one today. Put it in a plastic bag then put it in hot tap water... Is that the best way to thaw them?
    She didn't eat it of course, but I figured I may as well try. I was told the last time she ate was about a week ago. When should I try again? How often should I feed her when she gets settled? Every 5 or so days until she gets bigger?
    Any advice on cage décor? I'm wanting to keep it pretty simple for now while she's getting settled, but I don't know what she may want later.

Any other advice would be great :]]
    I've been wanting a hoggie for a while now. I'm so happy :D:D

2. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

When you got her did the breeder say she was eating pinkies? I ask this because hog-nosed snakes are by nature toad eaters, they are rear-fanged with a mildly venomous (to humans) saliva. They actually use the rear fangs to puncture the toads when they start to swallow them because the toads inflate themselves to keep from being swallowed. The venomous saliva is to subdue the prey item. You may already have known this, but if not, now you do. Aspen should be fine and as for lighting they do not need any uv lighting, just the normal heat from a bulb or a ceramic heat emitter or even an under tank heater will work. Please note that I do not have one of these guys and it has been a long time since I have done any research on them so if I am incorrect someone can correct me. Any type of hide is good for them as long as they have one on the warm side and one on the cool side. I would not try to feed her again for at least a week so she can settle into her new environment. Once she has settled in you can feed her about every 5-7 days until she gets older then every 10-14 days thereafter.

Once she calms down and gets used to you, you will have an absolutely awesome snake and I think you will be very happy. I look forward to seeing pictures in about a week or two.

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

4. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I have had 2 pairs of westerns for about 6 months only one of them had problems eating pinkies, they can take a bit till they eat and sometimes the females will not eat for a week or two between feedings. I had some luck with the one female senting with Green tree frogs for a while but now she hasn't eaten anything for over a month. Good luck with yours and I hope she gets on to pinkies, just keep trying it can take a week of two or even up to a month (so I've heard) before they really start eating well.

5. graduationxday

graduationxday Elite Member

The person I bought her from at the show said she was already eating pinkies. He said the last time she ate was about a week ago.
    He also said that he didn't produce her, but that he bought her from a breeder. He gave me the name and I can't remember it anymore haha.
    I'll try feeding her a pinkie again in a few days, and if she doesn't eat it I"ll try to find a frog to scent it. If that doesn't work I may have to do the split brain pinkie thing. Ewh. It's hard enough just to see a poor dead baby mouse x]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.