This Disappears When Logged In

New Addition (False Tomato Frog)

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by titus, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Heres one of my pickups from last weekends show. A False Tomato Frog (Dyscophus guineti) often referred to as just tomato frog but that name belongs to Dyscophus antongilii. These have been getting a bit harder to find than last year though maybe it's just not the right time for the CB young yet. I was lucky to find this adult female hopefully I can some how find a male to go with her. My other find was a slightly larger C. cranwelli now I hope that I have a pair.

[​IMG]

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

now I REALLY wish i got that tomato frog at the show. What a beauty! Congrats!

3. stano40

stano40 Elite Member

Hi Titus,

She is a gorgeous frog. I love that face.

I would like to ask a question about the tomato frog. In what way do the false tomato frog differ with the tomato frog. Is it toxicity.

4. titus

Sure Bob, I haven't read the papers on the three species of tomato frogs yet but have talked with a few frog people and zoo keepers. The False Tomato frog, D. guineti is the only tomato frog thats available to the public at this time some D. antongilii may be in the trade but it's very unlikely since this species has been moved to CITES Ap I.

From what I have learned about the species D. antongilii lacks the black stripe for the false tomato frogs being fully orange to red with a white/speckled vent. I've seen very few photos of D. antongilii and most photos that state the species as D. antongilii are D. guineti.

Heres a link to the best picture I found of D. antongilii. http://www.frogstore.com/images-frogfacts/bigtom.jpg

5. schlegelbagel

True tomato frogs are found only on the island of madagascar and are not available for anyone in the public to own.

6. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

wow...you getting frogs like crazy! nice one bro!

7. titus

Yeah This is the end of it for now, only thing that could be is a male tomato if I could find it. We've had alot of space free up the last 10 months and have been good not to over do it.

The boas moved into their larger cages leaving their caging free. We had a few of our older tarantulas pass (my adult H. lividum too :( ). The horned frogs got their space. The end of May the carpets are getting their new caging. I think my wife has her eye on their cage for a Chameleon.

8. venus

venus Founding Member

Gorgeous, I love mater frogs.

9. schlegelbagel

mmmm maters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.