This Disappears When Logged In

New Ackie

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Dragonmum, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

Need some help, i have been researching Ackies for the last couple of months and i am getting a 14week old baby next week (but only if i can provide the correct environment). I have a 4x2x2 enclosure but dont know how i can fulfil the deep substrate requirement with the limited height i have to work with. I thought about putting some perspex glass in front of the doors to keep the substrate contained but with the height of the viv i wouldnt be able to see the baby. What can i do i wont get him/her if i cant provide the correct set up. I have all the lights and heating but the substrate is my stumbling block.
    I already have a Beardie in a bio environment
    A 6ft corn snake and a spur thighed Tortoise

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, a 4 x 2 x 2 feet enclosure is not large enough on a permanent basis (for an adult) although it will last a few months in your case. At 14 weeks you have a juvenile, not a "baby". I`m not sure what you mean about not being able to see the monitor if you put a perpex barrier at the front (it`s normally see through)?

3. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

I would put the perspex up against the door to retain the substrate to make deep enough so soil would be halfway up the door

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, a good idea but why won`t you be able to see the monitor (unless it`s burrowed under the surface which is natural)?
    I would suggest a substrate depth of around 8 or 9 inches for the time being, obviously deeper as the animal grows (along with a somewhat larger enclosure).

5. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

in all honesty i would change it up my beardie started off in a 3x2x2 he is now in a 5x3x2 changed from tile to bio for his benefit i am already getting quotes for a custom viv but cant do it yet so i guess will it do until i make it better i love my reptiles they are insured and will do a vet visit at the drop of a hat im looking at a 6x3x3 for the future i am building my knowledge to get tegu which is my dream

6. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Not that this is any of my business, but if you aren't in love with ackies and want a tegu... get a tegu. An ackie isn't really a "stepping stone" to a tegu or any other reptile. As you probably know keeping a few different reptiles, they all have very specific requirements. If your goal is a tegu, then the only way to work up to that is to research about tegus, and make sure you have everything to support an adult. And then keep learning and asking questions as the tegu gets bigger.
    Again, none of my business, just don't want you to invest all this thinking it will prepare you for a tegu. They're extremely different.

If you are serious about this ackie though, could you put up a couple pics of the enclosure? Maybe we can help you with some ideas on how to make it taller or something.

7. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

haha if only i would have one tomorrow but my other half needs more work this whole reptile thing started with a tortoise then beardie then snake now monitor but a small one (he said) i have just had a price back for the custom viv 6ft long 3ft deep by 3 wide glass sliding doors 15 inch from base £200 which is great but our reptile rescue is looking out for one for me as well either way this ackie will have a bigger enclosure in 6 months. the enclosure i have now was my beardies last one before i moved him up to 5ft i will try and upload pictures i am really not happy where the lights are fitted at the moment so help would be good. i guess they need all the guards over the bulbs like the beardie?

8. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

one more thing i have an established roach colony my beardie is in brumation now so they are not been eaten and are breeding like wildfire dubias are a good staple right? i have read the care sheets and no mention of ackies brumating do they? that would be an added bonus as i miss him when he is asleep!

9. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

Here are some pictures

Attached Files:

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, what are you intending to house in this enclosure?
    No, V. acanthurus do not brumate and yes roaches are an excellent prey item for them. Bulb guards should not be used with varanids because they usually climb almost everywhere and if they grab hold of the guard it will probably cause a burn.

11. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

ackie short term
    so no guards then

12. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

i was told today that they dont need basking bulbs just a che however i plan to get 2 basking bulbs side by side to widen the area and keep the che for night would that be ok he will still have the uvb with reflector but i know not having a basking bulb alongside causes eye problems in Beardies so what do you think the custom viv should be here in 8 weeks is this enclosure pictured ok until then

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

They absolutely do need "basking bulbs" in order to thermoregulate efficiently, the CHE is o.k for raising the ambient air temps either during the day or through the night. I use either par 30 or par 38 halogen bulbs (must be flood beam) fitted with ceramic bulb holders. I buy them on ebay usually around £5 or £6 each depending on brand and wattage. Melamine enclosures are not at all suitable because once the surface is penetrated they will rot very quickly, if that`s the type you are planning to have built I would rethink.
    An example of a halogen bulb and basking site (you won`t need as many bulbs)...
    100_1826.JPG

23944671826_af1ef18d15[1].jpg

14. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

i just want the best for him so many conflicting suggestions i am sealing the viv with sealant so nothing gets into it but this is only temp what do you suggest for the custom build i want him to be happy and as natural as possible

15. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

when i commit i commit so i want to know i held the little guy today he is amazing and i am committed

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Normally 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick plywood is used with some framework for the larger enclosures. I would recommend a size of 5 or 6L x 3W x 3H (feet) for one single adult. What are you sealing it with?

17. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

aquarium sealant

18. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

the custom viv is 5ft x 3 x 3

murrindindi likes this.
  19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I meant what are you using to seal the surface, and what is the custom enclosure being built out of?

20. Dragonmum

Dragonmum Active Member

no idea will find out