This Disappears When Logged In

Never Going to Petsmart Again....EVER!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maaso, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

I usually never go in there, but in a pinch or to save some time I will stop in. Being as its only 33 miles away and the nearest thing to an actual pet store is 67 miles away. I was low on fuel, and needed crickets. So I swallowed my pride and promised I wouldn't look at their poor animals, just get my crickets and leave.

My heart got the best of me, and I went for a quick look. What I saw, I took the the manager. His responses were worse than the tragedy I had witnessed.

First, the Anoles. I keep Anoles, and I love them. So I looked there first. Astonished, I saw the largest Brown I had ever seen in my life. This guy was every bit of a foot long, He was huge! I was watching him lumber around their small enclosure for the a while. When he darted across the tank and bit down on a baby Green. And proceeded to eat her.

0_IMAG0098.jpg

I couldn't watch it, its nature. I know, but I love them and it saddens me. I went to the other side of their display to look at the Leos and Beardys. And I saw a baby Leo, with mouth rot, tail broken, and her little eyes were swollen closed.

0_IMAG0095.jpg
    0_IMAG0096.jpg

This is what made me go to the manager. Upon meeting with him, he told me that he couldn't do nothing about the Leo, and that is nature doing it's course. I asked him why he can't "store purchase" some medicine and write it off as their animal health. Because I KNOW they are able to do that. He told me that a $19 dollar lizard isn't worth the price of the medicine....

Then, I showed him the picture on my phone of the Brown eating the Green. He told me that he knows that Brown does that, and its OK because he is killing off the weak and sick ones....why would the knowingly keep sick animals around their healthy ones, and why would he allow a bigger animal to just eat them.

I'm just sick of that place, I'm never going back.

Attached Files:

2. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

Wow. That's terrible. The Petsmart near me is much better than that. You really should write a letter to the corporate office including the manager's name so that they can do something about it. I know if I had seen that I'd be outraged.

3. SeraphimSerpents

SeraphimSerpents Active Member

I have had nothing but sad experiences at PetSmart. I've often thought of applying for a job there, just so they have someone to take care of their reptiles and amphibians!

I definitely agree Drache Dame. PLEASE write to the corporate office and send the pictures. It probably won't do anything, but it's worth it, I think.

If only I could get together a whole bunch of people and we could gather evidence nation-wide and make a real difference! Poor animals...

4. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Yikes, I would have been fuming! I couldn't care less how much an animal costs, when it needs vet care, it needs vet care.

They do have a policy about that, you shoud write the corporate office and tell them about what you saw.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would definitely contact corporate and explain that, after voicing your concerns, the manager was just rude and blew you off.
    And by the way, most places have laws regarding the providing of medical care for captive animals.
    Failure to do so falls under the animal cruelty and negligence laws.

6. Repilizard

Repilizard Well-Known Member

Poor little guys... And the manager doesn't even care? Wow, you should
    contact corporate office and complain... The petsmart near me isn't that bad, but seeing this... It's just animal cruelty... And he said a 19 dollar lizard isn't worth giving health care to?!? Wow...
    And they have a policy about how they keep their animals, like Nicole said. Every animal deserves health care... Sheesh.. The nerve of the manager...

-Repilizard

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yes, write to corporate. The actually take that sort of stuff seriously.

8. Ace

Ace Elite Member

I agree with what everyone else said, I would also go back in there again because I am sure you would be able to find even worse animal neglect than that! Print pictures, send them with the letter and the name of the manager too.

9. Orca

Orca Elite Member

That is so sad :( I see similar things at our local Petco but not that bad. Let us know how things turn out by going to corporate!

10. schlegelbagel

And besides, complaining on the internet to a bunch of people in a forum solves NOTHING. Make your writing count!

11. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

I feel fortunate as the manager of my local Petco is a herp keeper and takes immaculate care of his store's herps. I have never seen a dirty enclosure, never seen a sick animal. Same with our PetsMart. While I'm not a big fan of the big-box pet retailers, I can't complain about my local ones.

12. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I can't complain about mine either, my mom and pop pet store is much worse than things you've shone. The last time I was in there there was a very dead lizard hanging from the screen top.

but our petco and pet smart are both very clean.

13. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

Write a letter and attach those photo's too. That's is disgusting how those animals are kept

14. schlegelbagel

From talking with the local Petsmart here, I found out that what happened in your store is very wrong and far from normal. She insisted you complain for that will not be tolerated.

15. Maaso

Maaso Elite Member

I sent them a letter, along with some Kinko's HQ pictures from my phone (Cost me $2 each) as per the info on this page...

PetSmart Contact Information - Contact PetSmart Corporate

I sent it two days ago...assuming you read this on 7/21.

I included my email address for them to reply to. So now I'm just to hear what they have to say about my letter.

16. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

wow,that is terrile....the one over here I only get animal supplies from I go the the superpets to buy my pets...they are mailnly good

17. SeraphimSerpents

SeraphimSerpents Active Member

GOOD!! Please let us know what you hear. I'm so glad you took action!

18. Gagnes mommy

Gagnes mommy Active Member

that's just terrible. I hope they respond and if not can't you contact the humaine society or something?
    One of the little shops around here would have tank of feeder mice and they would eat each other and it would be sitting out for the world to see. Yuk!

19. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I am sorry I didn't see this before you wrote, but still, you can cc: your state's Dept. of Agriculture (hard copy, not email). If you are able to research, there should be additional agencies that oversee your state's pet trade.

In a day or two, you can send a follow up letter to Petsmart, advising who you cc'ed on the original correspondence. You might even want to copy your local Herp group (with the manager's name and store location) so this guy is on their radar.

I've had to turn in my own clients; the best result is to cast a wide net - you will find someone who gets involved, even if it's to cover their own behinds. (I've even sent pics and letters to local TV news - they love the tragic stuff, but if it helps the helpless, I will use that to my advantage.)

20. uniweb2

uniweb2 Active Member

Things like that make me sick! the petsmart near me is exactly like the one you described- the cages are way too small, the animals are skinny, lethargic, and way too young to be selling, and once I saw a house gecko on the side of the "enclosure" that looked like it had been dead for weeks!

My babies:

1 beardie
    1 leo
    1 curly tail
    1 crestie
    1 fat tail

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.