This Disappears When Logged In

Nelsons vs Sinaloan

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by Knox, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Okay,

I have been researching the diffs between Nelson and Sinaloan. What I have found is that the Sinaloans tend to have thinner black bands, with more red on the body than the Nelsons. In addition, the Sinaloans are supposed to be larger.

Can anyone confim or correct this? I really love the Sinaloan, but would anyone be able to tell the difference if I got a Nelsons (besides the word "Sinaloan" being cooler than "Nelson" :D )?

2. JMM

JMM Elite Member

Maybe this helps: Lampropeltis

I´m getting a Sinaloan next weekend :)

3. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

the sinaloan milksnake was variant of the a nelsons(Lampropeltis triangulum nelsoni)but was then seperated as two different species by Williams in 1978. It was based on a scale count variation and pattern variation. He classified the southern population as Lampropeltis triangulum nelsoni and the northwestern populations as a new species, Lampropeltis triangulum sinaloa.

milksnakes a trickly little bunch to work out...alot of resaerch has to be done into their relationships. Much like the arguments of different species within the cornsnake.

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I really can't answer your question Knox, but to address side topics, the last I read all milksnakes were subspecies of L. triangulatum, which is simply known as "milksnake" without the subspecies tags and is just another species of kingsnake, hence the genus. Consider the fact that I don't really research milksnakes that often and my data could be outdated though.

5. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

that is correct matt... but in most papers on descriptions it is weird that they all talk about them as seperate species yet are named as subspecies. Very silly to me...haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.