This Disappears When Logged In

Neko (MHD Lizard) Head Tremors, Too Much Calcium?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Pacabaca, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pacabaca

Pacabaca New Member

Can someone please help me, I do not know what to do.
    I made a appointment with my vet for 10/14/08.

URGENT

My 3yr MHD has been having head ticks while he is awake and sleeping. Its been getting pretty bad lately. Usually 4 head tremors in a row and his right eye stays closed and it looks like his left arm is numb.Its been getting worse and worse. I first noticed the head tremor around the same time I started feeding the worms 6 mon ago ( i can't believe I didnt think about the possibility of Metabolic Bone Disease.) He used to do it once, but it would be after he did his head bob and then stuck out his pouch. So I didnt realize that was a sign.

I have the uva/uvb bulb directly above his net so, he is getting D3, what I fear is that he is probably getting way too much Calcium. He loves nightcrawlers and he has been eating that for the last 6 months. But he hasn't really been eating crickets. My fault, because I was so concerned about his joints that I only fed him worms. He also eats, yams,squash, broccoli,peas,and an ocassionally banana.

What can I do to rectify the situation? I love him dearly and I am beating myself up.I need advice as far as diet and setting up his cage. What should I be feeding him, how often, proportions,ration of Ca and P and what not. I really dont have a clue and I thought I was doing the right thing. I can't lose him and he deserves the best and shouldnt suffer because of my ignorance.

Neko Dahn is my first reptile and I think I am killing him, I need advice from you guys.

I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Re: Neko (MHD Lizard) Head Tremors, Too Much Calci

Responses will be posted here not emailed :)

Can you give us info about your set up such as temps.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Please do not post personal Emails on the open forum. Requesting information to be sent to you personally not only negates the purpose of the forum itself but there is no way for us to tell if the information that you are being given is credible.

At this point the vet visit is the best option. We cannot diagnose illness over a post.
    However if you give us a rundown of EVERYTHING with regard to how you are keeping and caring for your dragon we may be able to spot a problem.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Mountain Horned Dragon? Is that what it stands for?

Are you giving any supplements? I'm not an expert, but I didn't think earthworms were that nutritious, but especially not high in calcium at all. I feed my frogs earthworms, but also supplement with crickets, and calcium powder once a week.

5. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

6. kritrdr

kritrdr Member

Too much calcium is unlikely to be the problem, a vet visit will be very important.

7. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

Just a note earthworms are very high in calcium. Here is a chart of the certain foods and there nutritional content.

FOOD %PROT %FAT %Ca %Phos KCAL/gm
    mealworm 22.3 14.9 .26 .23 2.74
    cricket 55.3 30.2 .23 .74 unk
    earthworms 10.39 7.2 1.18 .90 4.71

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.