This Disappears When Logged In

Neighborhood Kids

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by pandorasbox, Jul 16, 2012.

1. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

The apartment community I live/work at is full of kids who love to bug me, play with my toys (my cats have a child-sized cardboard playhouse, and I have an X-box), and check out my geckos. Last night 3 of them (2 ~8 year old girls and a 4 year old boy -- yeah, parents keep a real good eye on their kids here) knocked on my door and begged to see the geckos, and I was about to feed them so I let them enjoy and help with the show. The 8 year olds enjoyed taking turns dropping mealworms in front of Athena one by one and they all enjoyed watching Poseidon devour a few dozen crickets. The new leopard gecko is still adjusting and only eating a few items, even though she is huge, but she's still active. My favorite part was when the boy picked up a small container next to an enclosure and asked what it was and I told him to put it on the table and open it, and they all screamed when it was 4 morio (superworm) beetles. But then I showed them a superworm and also a pupa and explained their lifecycle and they thought it was pretty cool. Now they want to all coming over every other day for gecko feeding, lol. Hopefully it at least instills a respect for reptiles that will stay with them when they are older, it is hard to say no.

2. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I hope so! That's awesome! :)

3. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

That is pretty cool!

There is a little 8 year old girl who lives across the street from me who plays catch with my dog Ella who is 94 lbs all the time. When we moved here she was 6 and she would come over to look at our snakes and Sullivan my savannah at the time. She learned a lot and to respect reptiles.

Since I have had my rudicollis she helps me sometimes with water changes and spraying down the enclosure. She has helped me prep feeder roaches and a few times even fed the rudis with tongs. I really enjoy sharing and opening children's eyes to reptiles. They are not a bad thing as so many believe, or as the media makes them out. I feel it does make an impact especially on children.

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

My little girl loves getting to help me spray the cages for the snakes. If we could all have the wonder of little kids :)

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Cute story!