This Disappears When Logged In

Need Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by maddog936, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddog936

maddog936 Member

ok, I'm going to get a 60-gallon tank for my Milksnake, he is only 3 1/2 ft but I figured a 60-gal is all he'll need probably so I'm gonna go ahead and get one, as of now I have a 25-gallon which is smaller, he got a lot bigger. Anyway, I have Aspen shavings in there for him and when I get a bigger tank I'm going to put maybe one or two fake, but realistic looking, plants if I get soil for his tank. Should I just keep Aspen or get soil? I myself love the look of soil but Aspen is ok, but I would much rather have soil, if I do get soil what kind should I get?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

WAIT. Are you saying you are going to put two baby igs in a 25 gallon? The MINIMUM for igs is 55 gallons EACH when they are HATCHLINGS and they will very quickly need 2 huge enclosures.

As for substrate, Sand is horrible. Igs need a non-particulate substrate. I suggest you read our care sheet before you get an ig, just so you realize what you would be getting into.

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I think you need to clarify, surely you cannot mean to house two iguanas together? That's a very dangerous prospect.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I prefer aspen in all my snake cages regardless of size. Soil has a multitude of problems that I would rather not mess with.

Liz is correct. You need to do some serious research!
    That 25 gal will not work for one iguana let alone two. You are looking at a minimum of a 55 gallon tank and that may last, if you are lucky, 6 months to a year. They start out tiny but in a year's time you can have a 3-4 ft long lizard!
    There is absolutely NO particulate substrate suitable for iguanas. Not sand, not bark, not aspen...nothing.
    Additionally 2 iguanas seldom cohabitate for long without attacking each other. Additionally not only are they going to need large cages they will need UVB lamps. And those babies aren't cheap! The little 20 dollar spiral lamps aren't going to do it either!

5. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

"The MINIMUM for igs is 55 gallons EACH when they are HATCHLINGS and they will very quickly need 2 huge enclosures."
    And by huge she means umm, HUGE. Check out some of the examples/photos that have been posted by other members; many give their igs a room of their own. I can't imagine housing one ! You may also want to check out the issues that people have experienced with providing a proper diet (i.e. finding the right type of greens and seasonal shortages). Good luck, this is not for the faint of heart!

6. maddog936

maddog936 Member

I'm keeping them in there until they are big enough to buy a way bigger cage, which will be soon after and I will, of course, separate them when they are not little hatchlings.

Two way bigger cages I mean

And also I absolutely will not house 2 males together which is very stupid. I will house a male and a female together for a couple of weeks until I get the bigger cages and also DONT FREAK OUT LIKE YOU'VE BEEN DOING and also you guys are totally off subject.

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

First, we aren't off subject, you stated you were putting two igs in a 25 gallon tank. We are stating that a 25 gallon is too small for even hatchlings. I would suggest holding off on your purchase of igs until you have something properly set up for them.

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

You may not want to believe it but we are here to help you. A 25 gallon tank is inadequate for one new born hatchling there is no way around it. Don't get so defensive, you are talking to people who have had iguanas for years and years.
    It is impossible to tell if you are getting males or females if you are indeed getting hatchlings. I would implore you to only get one and set it up properly. Having two iguanas in the same HOUSE can be stressful for all parties involved, let alone having them in the same cage or room.

9. Merlin

We are not freaking out. You stated your intention to do something that we KNOW will be disasterous and we responded to try to save both you and your prospective pets a lot of grief!

You cannot establish the temperature gradient needed for iguanas in anything smaller than a 55 gallon tank. That's a fact!

And even a pair or two females may kill each other. They just don't like company!

10. maddog936

maddog936 Member

OK, I apologize you guys would know more about iguanas, anyway you guys are kinda off topic, I'm asking what's better dirt substrate or Aspen What are the ups and down and such for snakes, forget the igs.

11. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Aspen. Dirt can get into their systems which may not be BAD for them but its not great. Also get into their eyes which again I don't think it can harm them but would you want dirt in your eyes if you had no fingers to get it out? :)

12. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Maddog; The caresheets that are available here will show you exactly what is needed for the proper care of your reptiles. They will also help you with the 'don'ts'.

I would also like to ask if you could use the 'spell check' system we have here on site. It would help us to get your questions answered quicker, and it makes it easier for our other members around the world that need the text translated into their own language. They also have a hard time translating with 'texting' included in the postings.

Thanks for helping out us, so that we can help you better and faster!

Please keep the questions coming. If you have any questions about something in the caresheets, please feel free to ask also.

13. Merlin

Not exactly a good analogy. Snakes don't have bare eyes for dirt to get into. They have a scale which is basically goggles that protect the eye.

However dirt is not the best substrate. It's heavy and, if damp will grow all sorts of nasty fungus and mold. If dry, it is very dusty and can be inhaled.

Also if you are talking about using dirt from outside it can contain chemicals as well as parasites and disease organisms.

14. maddog936

maddog936 Member

What about coconut husk?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.