This Disappears When Logged In

Need Tips to Increase My Dubia Colony

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by aromatherapykim, Jan 28, 2014.

1. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

So I started a tub several months ago with 15 females and 15 males. It produces, but slowly. For the past several months I have had a lot of work done in my apartment so I keep my tubs in my closet on week days so the workers don't get the shock of tubs of bugs in my apartment after seeing 9 tanks of animals. I try to stay pretty under the radar with my apartment complex. Anyway on weekends I get the tubs out and plug them in with a heating pad. My colony gets roach chow and water crystals whenever they need it and fresh vegetables and greens weekly sometimes twice a week. I also add sugar to my colony, it was a tip from a pet store I hang out at, they seem to love it!
    So with those conditions what are good ways to increase my production?
    Also, a petstore I go to has dubia for sale. Thinking they would tell me no, I asked if they would sell me any of their adults. They were glad to so I grabbed 10 male and 10 female (after having to show the employee the difference). So my question about this is do you think this would be a good way to add females to my colony? They sell them for around $0.25 a roach which is awesome compared to what I see on ebay. Would it be a safe bet that I'm buying roaches that aren't all old and at the end of their breeding span?

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Its generally a good idea to have 4 females to every male. Also They need hot temps. If you can keep one side of the tuba t 85-90 degrees you will find they will explode in numbers. But it has to be a constant temp not only hot on the weekends.

3. aromatherapykim

that's what I figured. hmm I'm going to have to take a look into what I can do to make my tub more discreet so I can keep it plugged in in my apartment all the time. It's a clear starlite tub with a heating pad for a 10-20 gal on the bottom. Do you think I could cover the sides in duct tape or would the heat mess that up? Acrylic paint maybe? Suggestions?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would either tape or paint the sides of the tub. Roaches like the dark.
    And your moving the tubs is the issue. These are tropical roaches and need the higher temperatures.
    They do not breed in the cooler temps. That's what makes them great as feeders. If they get loose they don't take over your house!

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You could paint the outside black. Of tuck it out of the way where no one can see it. Or switch it out for a solid colored tote.

6. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Are these the same pet store? If so, that explains the sugar 'tip'. Remember, what you feed your roaches is what you will be feeding your reptile. Skip the sugar from now on...

7. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Use orange slices instead. It will give the same effect but has the benefit of added nutrients for your animals.

8. aromatherapykim

Oh wow I'm so careful I don't know why I didn't think of that. They said their roach tubs go through pounds of sugar. So I'll stop the sugar! I still have been buying roaches from them weekly because theyre the only ones in town who has them and my colony still isn't ready to feed off of. Should I stop buying from them all together?

Also regarding the oranges suggestion: (sorry I don't know how to add a second quote to the response.) I was told that bearded dragons shouldn't have anything acidic, so I was told to stay away from oranges for my colony since my dragon will be my main consumer.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

To add more than one quote, click on the little quotation mark and plus sign icon, right next to the reply with quote icon. Click this in all the posts you wish to reply to and click on "reply to thread". This will bring all the quoted posts into the same reply box.

Oranges are fine to feed the roaches.