This Disappears When Logged In

Need Some Help with Bulbs for Iguana

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by mitch303, Mar 6, 2012.

1. mitch303

mitch303 Member

Alright so im looking at adding another bulb or 2 to my iguanas cage, I dont think its staying warm enough. His cage is 7' tall 4' wide and 4' front to back. Right now i have a 125w solar glo mvb and 1 regular 75w basking bulb. then i have 1 cerami heat emmiter and 1 of the heat projector bulbs from reptile uv both of these bulbs come on at night. im thinking of getting like a 100 watt to replace the 75w basking bulb or adding another basking bulb. Should i also add one of the repti sun uv bulbs or would that be to much uv with the solar glo?

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What are the temps like inside the enclosure?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And how is the enclosure constructed? If its wire mesh you are going to have a hard time of it.

4. mitch303

mitch303 Member

the cage is enclosed with plywood the front of the cage is the door and its made of wood frame and mesh, I covered the mesh on the door with plastic liner to keep the humidity and heat in and to keep him from climbing on it and ripping off toes and toenails. the top of the cage is mesh where the lights sit. Basking spot under the Solar Glo stays between 95-99 degrees the other basking spot stays in the mid 80s the middle of the cage stays in the mid 70s and the bottom of the cage is in the high 60s. I can not figure out how to heat up the lower half of the cage.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you put a few photos of the enclosure up?

6. mitch303

mitch303 Member

here you go

Attached Files:

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, the pics aren`t too clear, but unless you cover the screen on the top you`ll never be able to stabilise the temps or humidity. Also, the plastic sheet over the front door must be letting some heat and humidity out too, it only takes a few gaps for that to happen. I think it would be much better if you covered the door with plexiglass or use 6mm (1/4inch) plate glass, even if you covered the bottom third with a piece of plywood, so it wasn`t such a large piece of glass.
    EDIT: Can you download your pics to Photobucket or Flickr first, then to here, so they come out larger and clearer?

8. mitch303

mitch303 Member

well i just got done building a new top i usede a piece of plywood and cut holes out for the dome fixtures and put mesh on the holes so the fixture would have something to rest on. I do plan on putting plexi glass on the whole door. Pictures are from my phone i can take different ones just didnt know what i should of took pictures of so i just snapped a few.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You did fine. As Stefan stated the more openings you have the more the humidity and heat will escape into the room itself. Since warm air rises, it is currently carrying your humidity out into the room. The new top should help as will the suggestion for replacing the plastic with plexi or glass. Another thing you can do is silicone all the cracks to close any gaps.

10. mitch303

mitch303 Member

didnt think of using the silicone for gaps very good idea. Ill gett a pic of the new top up here in a little bit.