This Disappears When Logged In

Need Reptile Advice- Which One?

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by littlej, Sep 21, 2017.

1. littlej

littlej New Member

Alright, this is a question that's been troubling me lately. I've expressed interest lately in getting an axolotl, and I do really want one. I have most of the supplies, and there's an amazing breeder in my city. However, I've been fretting about its safety if I do get it. I don't quite have the time for my own cycle, but a family member keeps fish, and I can probably get some fresh filter materials.

So- my question is, is there any other alternates? A bit of extra information; I'm a freshman in high school. I have four years before college, so I have been worried that my parents would be unable to keep an axolotl for sometime without risking its health. I already have a happy Leopard Gecko, who we believe is five or six years old, and I have no doubt that I will bring him either to college, or that my mom can properly care for him. He's very adored in the family. My mom doesn't want the really 'creepy' pets, meaning tarantulas and snakes. Of course, snakes are very high on my list of 'wants'.

I currently have a ten gallon watertight tank, but I can easily get a 20 gallon, which I would probably need for any lizard, or a larger tank size.

My top candidates are axolotls, crested geckos, corn snake or kenyan sand boa, but I need more suggestions, as well as advice. I'm very open for any suggestions, reptile, amphibian, or other.

2. waagyl

waagyl Member

So is your mom completely against snakes or are they still an option? If the axolotl has to be left with your parents I would say to get something simpler, unless you think they could handle it of course. Snakes are much simpler to care for, and so are crested geckos. This means (as long as your parents are okay with feeding mice/rats/bugs) it would be much easier than leaving the axolotl with them. If you definitely can't get a snake a crested gecko is an amazing option! You'll need an arboreal setup however.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You may not want to hear this but it's not really fair, to aquire animals knowing you will be going away, expecting your parents to take care of them. You, and the animals, would be better off waiting till you can deal with them.

4. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I used to have axolotl's. Alot of work, you have to keep the water pretty cold. I had to give mine away when my refrigeration rig broke, didn't have the means to repair it or get a new one.
    Snakes are my recommendation. I recommend western hognose to beginners. One of the few snakes that doesn't bite defensively, so would probably be pretty parent friendly.
    Also, I'm not sure what your rules would be at the college you are thinking of, but they are very low maintenance.

5. littlej

littlej New Member

Thanks, everyone. I think I may drop getting an axolotl, because there is so much that would have to be monitored once I'm in college. I'll try to bring up snakes again- any that are particularly friendly and easy to handle? It would aid in my convincing, and help me out as well. I hear good things about corn snakes, and I had fallen in love with Kenyan sand boas, but I'm unsure of their temperament. Please list housing requirements and average life length. Also, would I need a lamp/undertank heating mat?

6. littlej

littlej New Member

*In addition to my previous reply:

I have gotten the O.K. to eventually get a snake, if things work out! There's a reptile show every month in my city, which I believe sells plenty of snakes. I've searched up a bit on Western Hognose snakes, which are very pretty, and I just need to know good resources. Thanks, everyone.