This Disappears When Logged In

Need Lighting Help!

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Joy81, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

Ok, so cage is built, im ready to set up, I put the new lights in the fixture and they buzz and wont stay lit!!!! Ugh! The fixture is a 4ft florecent shop light, i bought it brand new, and it is mounted in the cage. (bolted tight!) The bulbs are brand new 48" florecent UVB Zilla bulbs. Any Ideas how to make this work before it turns into a disaster?

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

What type of prong on the end. If it's a double pin, sometimes you need to turn them just a little to sit them properly.

3. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

Tried that it didn't work :( thanks tho!

4. snubber

snubber Elite Member

Could it be the starter/ballast on the fixture?

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Sometime running your fingers along them coaxes them on. My basement one needs this sometimes.
    Is it a new shoplight?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds like a bad ballast. take it back and get another one.

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I agree with Merlin.

8. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

Well as it turns out the bulbs that I got only work in a hood for fish tanks ect. so I had to order one today, should be here within the week. Ugh!!! I swear it seems like its just one thing after anouther with this cage!! I just want it finished so Liz can have her new house. :( Now that we have been feeding her regulary and letting her roam around she is putting on weight and starting to grow, which is good, but now she is really having a hard time turning around. *sigh*

9. Merlin

Let me guess who told you that,....the petshop that sold you the fish tank hood?
    A fluorescent fixture is a fluorescent fixture. As long as it has the proper ends for the bulbs it doesn't matter whether it is a shoplight fixture or a fish tank hood.

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I just want to ask how tall is the tank?

11. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

The cage is 5ft long, 3ft wide, and 2ft tall. I know that is'nt as big as it should be, but its as big as I can afford. She is out every day and gets to wonder the house, so its gonna be fine. She is in a 100gal tall aquarium now, and she is 2ft, 6in long, she can bairly turn around.

12. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

No, we don't have a pet shop in Glendive. I bought the Shop light from the hardwear store, and the buibs I bought are almost to short. I tried a diffrent light I borrowed from a friend and his worked till it was hung, then the bulbs slipped and it stoped working. I ajusted everything till I was ready to scream!!! The bulbs are not long enought to work in a standerd shop light. They are Zilla Tropical 25 UVB Fluorescent bulbs 32w-48"-T8. I ordered them from Dr. Foster & Smith catlog. I called them today and asked about a hood, or something that would fit the bulb type and they had to look it up, and I orderd a standerd strip light that is listed as compatbel.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I asked about the height of the enclosure because I wondered why you had gone with the fluorescent tubes rather than a Megaray or similar, (which emmit UVB much closer to natural sunlight than any tube), they cost more, but they last at least twice as long, so they are better in every respect, (plus the tubes need to be within 12inches or less of the animal to be of any use), but if you`ve already spent money on the tubes it`s a little too late.
    When they need replacing in 6 months or so, I would advise thinking about getting the Megaray, it will benefit the Tegu greatly. Good luck getting the lighting set up!

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The "T8" refers to the diameter of the tube, in this case 1 (one) inch, although I`ve not seen a 25 UVB tube before, can you put a link up so I can look? Thanks!

15. Merlin

I still think its an issue with the shoplight you are using. The bulbs should fit a standard fixture.

16. Joy81

Joy81 Elite Member

the shop light was brand new, and it did'nt work, then I bought anouther, it didn't work either, then a friend borrowed me his, it did'nt work either. i have no Idea.

17. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think it may be the starter that`s causing the problem, do you know where it is in the fixture, it looks like a small battery?

18. lboarts

lboarts Active Member

OK, as a class A maintenance electrician for the past 20 years, I believe I can offer some input here.

1. If the fixture you bought is brand new, it won't have a starter. Starters are simply capacitors that older fixtures would use when the ballast was cold. Nowadays the electronic ballasts manufacturers use have no need for a starter.

2. A 48" T8 bulb is 48" and will fit ANY 48" fixture. Don't be duped by salesmen.

3. Many shop lights found at the hardware store are cheaply constructed, and often times the tombstones on the end, i.e. bulb sockets, will be loose, so the bulb will not be making a good connection, even though it appears to be seated fine. Any loose electrical connection creates a voltage drop, with adverse side affects such as noise and heat generated at the point of connection.

Hope this info helps.

19. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

This thread is 5 months old. The upper left corner shows post date.

20. Merlin

But its still good information to have.;)