This Disappears When Logged In

Need Iguana Cage Plans

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by IGGYOWNER, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

Hi. I am new to this website. i have a about 4 month year old iguana. i have him in a 5 gallon tank right now and am feeling really bad about havin him in such a small area. i need plans and instructions on how to build a suitable yet cheap iguana cage for him. if anyone has any plans or answers to this please tell me my iguana needs your help.:( i want to get him out of his small enclosure and into a bigger one as soon as possible. i take him out everyday and let him run around and give him a bath everyday for exercise but i still want him to be comfortable and able to get exercise without me having to take him out everyday especially if i have to leave him for a little while. Please help me with some plans.:confused: :confused:

2. Sean Boyd

Sean Boyd Elite Member

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

The words Iguana and cheap don't go together. How your iguana is managing to survive in a 5 gallon tank is beyond me. What type of lighting are you using with this iguana? A 5 gallon tank is VERY small for almost any animal.

How much funding can you put to the side for this iguana enclosure? We can TRY to help give you advice on this if you have a budget.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I too have a problem picturing a lizard of that siize in a 5 gal tank. This would mean that animal is basically standing in one spot while it is folded in half!
    If this truly is the case it needs to change now!
    About as cheap as it gets is to build something like this
    http://www.lizardcages.fws1.com/the-plans.htm but unless you enclose these cages in something solid they are hard to control heat and humidity.
    As Rich said, "cheap" and "iguana" are two words that are not very compatable. They require UVB light to survive and the bulbs start at about 40 bucks and need to be replaced every 6-12 months depending on the type. Plus the lighting fixture itself. There will also be heating equipment, and a constant supply of fresh greens vegetables and fruits. And like most herbivores iguanas eat a LOT! And then there will be vet bills.
    Not trying to be mean but you may want to rethink your choice of pets.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm assuming you are miscalculating the size of the tank. Where is your new enclosure going to stand? I say stand because it's going to be the size of a closet.

6. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

well i know that it isn't cheap i just quit my job for a better one so i don't have alot of money right now only about $150 i will be building a 5' by 5' deep by6.5' tall cage if anyone has any tips on how to orwhat to build it with that would be great.

7. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

i made up plans to have a 5' by 5' deep by 6.5' tall cage. it would be made out of 2 by 2's and plywood for walls except for the front one wich will be 2 small doors. one door on top and one on the bottom. i already have made a space in my room for the cage. all i need to know is what type of wire to use for the cage doors and top and how many heat lamps i will need. i have bought 2 for now (one for at night and one during the day). i had a heat rock but those are bad for them so i got rid of it. he is eating food isn't the problem i just need to know wut to put on the floor of the cage and wut to use for wood types. if anyone has any answers that would be great money is no problem anymore. thanks for any info. i want to get him into a bigger cage ASAP! I will be picking up the wood this weekend and starting on it. hopefully getting it done by next week sometime. please give me any info u might have. and he does have room to move around and climb a lil bit in the cage he is in now its just a lil bit crowded with the water dish and fake plant and his cave and he has a stick in there too!i also think that the pet store told me the wrong age from what i read according to other ppl's ideas of his situation. i do get him out of the tank as much as possible and hold him and let him run around the room for a while but i would like to have him in a big cage so he can run during the day. i think it might be a 10 gallon tank either way it is too small for him so i need to get started on the new cage right away.so please give me any info u have.

8. kriminaal

Check out many of the threads at Iguana Center(in the left toolbar) under Habitats. I suggest you use glass doors for the front. If you were to use mesh much of the heat would escape and proper humidity difficult to achieve.

9. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

do u know where i would be able to get the glass for the doors?

10. kriminaal

If you go to any hardware store. They should be able to cut the glass to your specifications.

11. IGGYOWNER

IGGYOWNER Elite Member

ok but how do i get it to sit in the frame permanently and without it slipping out.

12. kriminaal

Get your grandfather to cut or router a groove in the frame. Then just silicone it in place.

13. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

Not an expert, but an idea: Routering a groove is probably best. If not, you could attach the glass with some of those metal clips that they sell (at the hardware store) for mounting mirrors on the wall, and put some silicone in to seal it before you tighten the hangers. I would do this on the inside of the doors, and I would over-engineer it (use plenty of hangers just to be safe).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.