This Disappears When Logged In

Need Ideas on a Custom Moist Hide.

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Sinlightened, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinlightened

Sinlightened Elite Member

So, I've been using the oldie but goldie upside down tupperware container.. and I'm looking to make something a little cooler.. I've got time on my hands, taking a 2 week vacation from work, and would like to work on this project..

It's for my ball python.. So, I'm just looking for ideas on what I could make it out of. The look I'm kind of going for is the large version of this.

[​IMG]

I've heard of using great stuff for so many things, just not sure where I would start. can you just make a mound of that stuff and then carve it out? or cover something of a decent hollow shape with it and then remove it without breaking the GS to carve? I'm not set on GS.. so all input is very welcome! Thanks Folks ;)

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Your pic didn't load and as for the GS you can make a mound out of it but you should do it in layers so it all cures properly and then you can hollow it out, or, you can cover something with it but you'll need to coat what your using with..., plastic wrap, wax paper, etc..., the GS will stick to whatever you use and if you use something that will prevent it sticking and can be pealed off the GS you should be fine.

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

You could use wire mesh for a form then mold the GS to the inside and outside of it. From Dragoness' post, she says that you can spray it on,smooth it or shape it like you want it and let it dry then you can trim it up to look like what you want it to look like. I am sure you already know this but I would wear rubber gloves while doing this. You can use a normal sharp knife to do the trimming. I am planning to do some of this myself as soon as I get paid.

4. Sinlightened

what texture is the GS once its dried?and it dries a tan color doesnt it? how would I go about getting a natural color to it since I'm sure paint is a bad idea =) silicone and eco-earth or something?

5. David McConley

Dragoness used acrylic paint for her project. Just make sure it is completely dry before you put it into the enclosure(I know you already knew that). Please be sure to post pics so I can steal your ideas, LOL!!!

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You could go get some hardware cloth, bend it to the shape you want, and spray the GS on it, then once it's dried (pale yellow color) you can carve it to any shape you like.

Paints can be used. Acrylics are low fume, but don't stick very well, so you'd need a primer. You can use eco-earth to texturize, and it looks very nice in the end. Just make sure that whatever paint you use has a thorough chance to air out so there are no residual fumes.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

8. David McConley

Hey Dragoness- That's the post I was refering to. The wire mesh I was talking about is the hardware cloth- up here we just call it chicken wire. Thanks for coming in and helping me out,David.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

chicken wire is a little different, but I know what you meant. I need to start one of these for my Boa here soon too.... she's outgrown her hide by quite a bit, but she still uses it.

10. Sinlightened

is the pic showing up now? I'm looking to make it two-piece like that for easier cleaning since it's going to be a moist hide

11. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Nope, pic still isn't there

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I think I'm gonna start my new log hide today. I'll keep you posted.

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Not a 'moist' hide, per se, but a hide I'm working on.

Started with an old piece of mesh I had sitting around.

Bent it into the shape I wanted.

Covered with GS. Now we wait... (You don't mess with it while it's wet. Wait for it to cure.)

Attached Files:

14. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Are you going to coat the inside of it also Dragoness? If you hadn't planned on it you might want to so it doesn't have any sharp edges for your snake to get cut on.

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Yeah, I did coat the inside. Cutting that mesh (16g epoxy-coated stainless) is too much work. Easier to get another can of great stuff to cover it all.

Tomorrow I'm going to trim down and paint it.

Attached Files:

16. Sinlightened

hey Dragoness, how is the progress coming on this? I'm interested to see the process and finished product...

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I carved it today, and started painting. Tomorrow, I'm going to glue some fake leaves on it. I'll snap some pics, and keep you posted.

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Trimmed foam with a steak knife, and then painted with Acrylics (They stick if you trim the foam, but won't stick to the surface of GS, it's too smooth. Available at craft stores, or craft sections of department stores)

Next step is gluing on fake leaves I use 100% clear silicone because I have it handy, but any silicone will do. I just buy a vine of the fake pothos/philodendron, and cut the leaves off. You can use any plant. I may use more - this is just to start with.

Attached Files:

19. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Looking good so far :)

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I think I'm going to add some fern leaves, and other large leaves.... still undecided.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.