This Disappears When Logged In

Need help with substrate

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by xzcarloszx, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xzcarloszx

xzcarloszx Active Member

hi i have 3 beardie babies. and right now im using doggi litter, its like bigger rabbit pellets that absorb poop and bad oders. works great they dont bother eating it no problems. but i want to change to sand or something similar because the pellets look ugly. i heard that Desert Blend English walnut shell is really good, that it doesnt cause impaction bla bla bla. But then i read on other sites that wal nut is really bad and they say warning do not use walnut, but i dunno if its do not use walnut in general or if english wall nut works. or i would like to know what sand is good. cuz i hear many things about some types of sand. soo yea if someone can answer my question it would be awsome

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

The text below is copied from the caresheet section on this site:
    Substrates that can be used in captivity without the risk of impaction are paper towels, newspaper, and reptile carpet. Though these substrates may not be as visually appealing as some others, a more natural look requires caution. Adult dragons can be kept on fine sand, or children’s play sand, which is relatively dust free, easy to maintain, and pest free, though there have been reports of intestinal impaction. Another substrate, which has a low risk of impaction and is pest free, is wheat bran. Substrates posing higher risks, which should be avoided, include bark and wood chippings or shavings, crushed walnut, corncob and any other large particle substrate.

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Any particulate substrate runs the risk of impaction. Crushed walnut shells are extremely bad since they have sharp edges and are not in the least digestable.

5. xzcarloszx

xzcarloszx Active Member

ok thanks guys :)

6. Enigma

Enigma Member

Shelf Liner

If you would like to use a substrate that looks nice... try Duck Brand Non - Adhesive Shelf Liner... it comes in 3 colors, black, taupe, and white. The taupe color looks a lot like sand. Shelf liner looks a LOT neater than any particle substrate and is 100% safe... as opposed to sands, barks, and whatever else people try to sell you!

Here is a link to the Shelf Liner that is suggested. The taupe color they have on the site doesn't look that brown in real life, it's more of a sandy color :D
    http://www.duckproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=5&subid=23&plid=502

It's so good to see somebody who cares enough about their BD to NOT use particle substrates! :) I can tell that you are an EXCELLENT BD owner! What a lucky Dragon you have :D

Good Luck, I know you'll make the right choice :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.