This Disappears When Logged In

Need Help with New Rosy Boa

Discussion in 'Rosy Boas & Sand Boas' started by cltp10, Apr 11, 2014.

1. cltp10

cltp10 Member

Hey fellow boa-ers. I'm new to keeping snakes I adopted a rosy red that was really about 7 months old from a family who couldn't care for it. I've had Walter for a week and he's being kept in a 20 gallon terrarium with aspen bedding. I've been told that over head lighting isn't truly necessary so I have an under tank heater and a ceramic heat source from above to keep the temp in the tank warm enough. I have digital probes and a infra red temp gun the temp in the terrarium is 75 on the cool side, 82 on the warm side and the warm spot is 89. My concern is the humidity. I can't seem to get it below 50%. Is there any way to do this? There isn't any water in the enclosure as of now. He hardly ever hides and seems to enjoy just hanging out but I want to get the humidity down to a more reasonable level. Any information on absolutely anything would be helpful. Feel free to give me tips on everything concerning my new friend. Please help.

2. dragodragon262

dragodragon262 Well-Known Member

I don'haveany expierience with snakes, but to lower yoh humidity, you could probaly purchase a dehumidifier from target as low as 50 bucks for the room:) i think that would be a good way to go

3. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

He needs hides. Snakes can get very stressed. At least put 2 one in each side warm and cool so he feels safer.

Try replacing the aspen bedding with paper towels or newspaper. See if that helps. Bedding holds humidity, newspaper and paper towels doesnt.

Also they have to have access to water. They can get dehydrated. Put it on the cool side and it doesn't have to be huge just something they can curl up in if need be and drink from.

4. cltp10

cltp10 Member

He has a hide on both sides and doesn't seem even slightly interested in using either one. I'll give the paper towels a try. What would you suggest for getting the temperatures higher? Are the over head basking lamps necessary? Thanks for the help TJOHNSON722.

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

If you can get basking temps where they should be then no they are not necessary. However, they do dry things out. So less humidity. Think of the sun coming out after the rain.

What are you measuring humidity with? I may have missed it if you didn't say.

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Try a small Tupper ware bowl for water. Like one that you would put sauce in to take somewhere. Something small. Don't put a lot in there but enough to where they can drink. From what I understand, they don't get in the water so a bigger one is not necessary.

7. cltp10

cltp10 Member

I have an electronic hygrometer with a sort of probe that is inside the tank. The only reason I wasn't putting water in the tank was due to the already high humidity. I haven't fed any this week because he was fed last week 3 days before I got him. Should I feed on a paper plate inside the tank or get a container to feed in? Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I do this exactly right and Walter lives a long happy life.

8. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

That is up to you. Think about this though, if you do feed on a paper plate, and he pulls it off and gets some of that aspen inside him then he could become impacted. Another good reason for paper towels. I feed outside the cage because I do have bedding in mine. I don't want to take the risk. There are plenty of arguments for both.

Make sure you let him settle for a while with no handling before attempting to feed.

You can try a tiny bit of water in a small bowl just something you know? Just make sure it has a sturdy bottom so it isn't knocked over.

9. cltp10

cltp10 Member

I've changed my substrate to the reptile carpet and my humidity is still jumping from 45% (which at this point I'm happy with) all the way to 69%. I desperately want to bring it down but the change doesn't seem to be helping. Please help with ideas to bring the humidity down.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What is the humidity level in the room itself?

11. cltp10

cltp10 Member

The humidity in the room fluctuates too. Anywhere from 50-70%. But sometimes it stays below 50% for a few days.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you have high humidity in the room itself it is going to be difficult to lower it in the enclosure.
    You might try putting a dehumidifier device in the room.

13. cltp10

cltp10 Member

The humidity is beginning to stay anywhere from 40- right below 60%. The vet said as long as it isn't exposed to humidity constantly above 60 it should be fine. He's been acting normal. He's eating extremely well and seems like he's getting really acclimated. Thanks for all of the advice.