This Disappears When Logged In

Need Help with My Sulcata

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by KristenH, Jun 19, 2012.

1. KristenH

KristenH New Member

I have a few questions about sulcatas... Do they hibernate? What should the temps and humidity be? How often should I feed a one year old sulcata? What types of food should I feed them?

2. justor

justor Elite Member

Sulcata's do not hibernate as far as I'm aware. Your enclosure should have a cool side with temps around 75F, and a warm side with temps around 85F and a basking spot of 90F. You should feed your tortoise every day, twice a day if you are able to. The diet for a sulcata should be mostly grasses and weeds. Grass hay is a good option which you can buy from feed stores (sold for horses). It is also a good idea to grow several different kinds of grass, and maybe some "weeds" in your yard to either harvest yourself or let your tortoise graze on its own. If you don't have access to a variety of different grasses you can use spring mix from the grocery store, but real grasses and weeds are best. Dark leafy greens can be offered as a treat, but should be kept to a minimum as the sulcatas digestive system is designed more for dry grasses. They love fruit, but it should not be offered because the sugars in fruit mess with their stomach acids.

May I ask how you are currently keeping the little one? And what your plans are for when it gets big? Do you live in an area where you can keep it outside part/most of the year or will you be keeping it indoors?

3. NudistApple

NudistApple Well-Known Member

Nope, they definitely do not hibernate. You want to keep a relatively high humidity, but now that he's over a year it isn't as critical. Make sure to have a good humid hide though! Justor gave you good information, I'd like to add to it that you want to be offering piles of food that are roughly equivalent to the size of the tortoise itself. UVB & calcium are, as ever, very important to it's continued health.

Natural unfiltered sunlight is of course best.

4. BlueLady

BlueLady New Member

This is helpful!

5. tortoiseman

tortoiseman Member

make sure you have plenty for them to eat as i found that are more active and happy with food offered every 6hrs or so.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You will also want to soak the tortoise in very very shalow water once a day for them to drink. It will have the added benefit off long sure they go potty regularly.
    Here is a good site for info: Sulcata Station: Basic Care Information