This Disappears When Logged In

Need Help with Eastern Box Turtle Rescue

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Just, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Just

Just Elite Member

-I've had this animal about a week.
    -It is getting cold out I currently have him in a 55 gallon long aquarium
    -Hes on green repti carpet
    - He has a 75watt halogen spot light for heat on far left and an 18" t5 5.0ho reptisun uvb
    - basking spot gets to 85 measured with probe
    -I havent been keeping track of humidity. Theres a shallow water dish available at all times. And I soak him in a shallow bath every other day
    -Im attempting to feed him super worms, earth worms, red bell pepper, carrot shavings, kale, mustard greens, banana....so far all he eats is tomato, Im worried that he wont eat anything but tomato and doesnt bask much

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Where did you get the box turtle from? If outside, then he needs conditions to brumate in, or hibernate. This would explain why he isn't eating or basking.

3. Just

Just Elite Member

South carolina outside looks like he has some damage to shell at rear left leg didnt look too serious but I wanted to make sure he was ok an re release him after he starts to use the leg more. Ill get some substrate for him to brumate in today. Ive had lots of dragons this is the first turtle ive cared for reading up on care guides as much as i can online but any help/advice would be welcomed with open arms

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

How bad is the wound? Can you post some pictures? Honestly if it's not too bad it would probably just be better to put it back. The inactivity will be due to it getting ready to brumate, as was said.

5. Just

Just Elite Member

Attached Files:

6. mshrmheadcharge

I don't see any injury to the leg?
    I suggest releasing him and letting him brumate. I doubt he requires human assistance at this point. I'm not sure what your local laws are but in some areas it is illegal to remove these guys from the wild.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Not seeing anything other than an old injury to the shell maybe. And I agree, it'd probably be best to just put it back and let it do it's thing.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Most wild turtles have damage to the shell. It will be better off back in the wild.

9. Just

Just Elite Member

He doesn't use that leg when walking besides maybe flicking his toes, the damage to shell and leg appears to be old I just felt bad for the guy found him on the side of a busy road while working outside Temps are getting down to low 50s but I suppose they do that every year around this time and he made it to be this old, I hope he'll be ok
    sniff sniff

10. mshrmheadcharge

It's better to have him out in the wild where he can mate.