This Disappears When Logged In

Need Help with Borneo Blood Python

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by susannwv, Oct 31, 2010.

1. susannwv

susannwv Member

First off wanted to say hey to everyone, I am new to this forum thing but know I will love it. Anyway I recently purchased a borneo blood about a month ago now. When I got her she seemed to be a little under weight. I say this because her back bone was a little more profound than normal. I have since fattened her her up and she looks great. She has already had a shed since Ive had her home. She is about 2 ft long and I have her in a 40 gallon critter cage with 2 hides and 2 water dishes, one on each side of the cage. I am using cypress mulch for bedding and have part of the cage covered with a towel but I can not keep the humidity up at 60%. It is usually stays around 38% even with misting several times a day and I know that is not good for them but when I do mist it will jump to around 90% then slowly fall down over the next couple hours. Any suggetstions on how to keep it steady? I also have some moss in there as well and still nothing. Another concern is her stool. She was a little impacted and when I got that out it was a foul odor of liquid followed by a medium sized yellow and white ball. Ever since then every time I hold her this is what comes out. I have yet to see a brown hard stool. Is this normal for them. I had heard they usually only have a bowel movement 2-3 times a year. I have owned a ball python before and thier stool almost looked like a humans and this is why this worried me. I have never seen this before. Even my corn snake has a brown solid stool. Sorry for the long post but I'm a little concerened. Any help or reply would be greatly appreciated.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

3. susannwv

susannwv Member

Thank you..I will take a look

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You will need to change that screen top. That is the heart of your trouble. The moisture is going out the top. Get a peice of plywood that completely covers the top and cut out a hole for the lights and heaters.
    Whoever told you that,....don't listen to them anymore! Their eliminations would be on a level of what you are used to with your BP.
    The stool should look just like what you are used to. The chalky balls are urates, the reptile equivalent of urine.
    Try putting the snake in the tub with lukewarm water and see if this helps.

5. susannwv

susannwv Member

Thanks Merlin. I soak her at least once a week and still the same thing comes out. Could she have a bacterial infection? Im calling a vet tomorrow but I live no where close to them and they are always backed up for months. She is eating a small rat every week and thier is a bulge so I know its the right size for her. She just had her fourth rat today since I have had her. So with that many rats should I have seen a hard brown stool already? Im sorry for being a worry wart lol but I love my baby and Im worried.

6. Merlin

I would have thought you would have some stool by now.

7. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I just wanted to say good luck with your baby! I have one that is(was) a rescue. She is by far the MEANEST snake I own. Clearly, the previous owner did not take good care of her and she is now rebelling at everything (I've had her for two years now and still she tries to chew my arm off through the cage). Of course, she also will only eat about 5-8 times a year no matter how often I offer food(every two weeks), consequently- she only has 5-8 stools a year. She produces urates consistantly though and she will be my snake forever, unless I find someone that can prove to me that they are capable of caring for a "hands off" snake for the duration of her life (I don't see that happening any time soon). I must say though that I have heard bloods can be very good snakes if they are tamed and well cared for early enough. Keep up the great work and I look forward to talking with you again soon.

David

8. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

I hate to disagree with Merlin but blood pythons often don't have bowel movements nearly as often as other snakes. Their huge girth that they are known for is because they hold back a lot more poo than other snakes. They are an extremely fast striking snake and it has been thought that they hold back the extra weight to keep them on the ground when they strike. My blood and the others that I work with are often on a much different bowel movement schedule than the rest. My youngest one will pass urates twice a month or so but only actually poops every two or three months. The big guys are even less often than that. Bloods are different than most snakes in several ways and that is one of them. They also normally show their spine more than others so unless it is really bad then there is nothing to worry about there.

9. Merlin

No problem. I do not keep bloods but eliminating only 2-3 times a year seems a bit off unless as David said they are not eating frequently.

10. bighog85

bighog85 Elite Member

I agree that 2-3 times a year is not quite enough. 4-5 times is about as infrequently as you would want. Mine go every other month or so but boy when they do, it is NASTY. I always wonder where it comes from.