This Disappears When Logged In

Need help with Blood Python Problems

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Blood_Romeo, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blood_Romeo

Blood_Romeo Active Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and was just passing through, looking for answers to some questions. Everybody here seems to be really well informed too which is great.

I have a Sumatran Blood Python named Romeo that I've had for almost 9 months. He's pretty sick right now.. :(

He had a very bad infestation of mites about a month ago, and it kept getting worse. I talked to the local pet shop and they suggested using a small piece of vapona to help kill the mites. The only catch is, during the time of treatment I cannot have any water in the tank because it could poison him. This method did not work. So I tried the Nix method a couple days ago, and now i cannot find a single live mite anywhere.

So that's the good news...here's the bad.

During the vapona treatment, he went without water for about 4 days, which was what the pet shop told me to do. I was skeptical..but they seemed to know more about the subject than me. I'm guessing the dryness of the tank and of the room caused Romeo to develop a respitory infection. he started weezing coughing and breathing with his mouth open. since the vapona treatment did not work, and he was breathing with his mouth open, i noticed that a couple mites were free to enter his mouth! i was freaking out, i gave him a bath right away, but he always sticks his head and neck area above the water level. after a few days he started to show signs of swelling around the mouth..

now:
    mites: gone.
    respitory infection: trying to increase temperature of the tank, and humidity, no idea how. its a 3' long tank that is 1.5' high, its very difficult to retain heat and humidity.
    swelling around the mouth: it's caused him to not be able to open his mouth very wide. his right side is unaffected, but the left side is really bad. he can't eat. never seen this before. i'm not even sure if its getting better.
    i'll try and get some pics posted of the problem.

good news is that he's close to shedding, so this could help i hope. any advice would be much appreciated. i love my python so much, i just want him to get better.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

an increase of humidity will worsen a respitory infection, the vapors from the vapona probably cause respitory irritation. I would suggest thouroghly cleaning the tank and keeping an eye on him for a day or 2. If it worsens. I highly recommend a trip to the vet.

3. Blood_Romeo

Blood_Romeo Active Member

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I too highly recommend a trip to the vet!
    And don't listen to any more Pet store "experts!" Many of them talk a good story but really have no more knowledge than you do, many times much less! Sick animals need a vet not a salesman.

At one time pest strips (vapona) were suggested for use in ridding snakes of mites. Then it was determined that exposure to the chemicals in it could cause neurological damage particularly in hatchlings and younger snakes.

The swelling you are seeing is most likely infectious stomatitis, commonly called mouthrot. This is usually a secondary infection due to the existence of another problem that lowers their immune system. This too needs to be treated but if the root of the problem is not corrected it will return.

Watch out for the return of mites. They reproduce like crazy. One missed egg can start your headach all over again! Get hold of Reptile Releif by Natural Chemistry. Safest most effective thing on the market.

How are you heating the cage and what type enclosure is it? If a tank with a screen top try covering part of the screen to hold in heat and humidity but don't close it up completely. You still need fresh air coming in. If using CHE or bulbs for heat place a large bowl of water under the heat source. Spritz the tank with water often but don't leave the substrate constantly wet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.