This Disappears When Logged In

Need Help With Aggressive Sunglow

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by shadagirl, Aug 5, 2016.

1. shadagirl

shadagirl New Member

I bought a sunglow female approx 7.5 feet online. Have never bought this way before but always wanted one and seemed like a good price. Snake arrived and I transferred to cage. Gave a few days to destress. Snake strikes when you walk by or anytime you attempt to open cage door. I'm concerned because the owner said it was puppy dog tame, and even more so because it has mites. I'm concerned about getting the boa into an enclosure I can treat the mite problem. It's so aggressive I don't think I will want to keep it but would like to get it rid of the mites and find it a new home. I've never had a snake this aggressive and I'm afraid of getting bit and or the snake getting hurt. Any suggestions are welcome.

2. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

First, get rid of the mites and give the snake some time to settle into the new environment. Make sure the warm and cool end temps are on point and provide suitable cover/s, and the snake should calm down in a week or two. A suitable size plastic tub with a heat mat under one end would be the best for QT until the mites are resolved. There are a couple different commercial treatments available for mites, but many years ago (before the internet) I bought a baby burmese python from a pet store that had mites. The recommended treatment at that time was to cut a small piece of a Shell No Pest Strip and place it under the newspapers in the snake's cage. Didn't seem like the best method to me, so I came up with another idea of my own. I used Crisco vegetable shortening to "grease" the snake and placed it in a 10 gallon tank with a screen top for a few days. The mites and any eggs were quickly smothered by the grease, which was easily cleaned off, with a bath in the tub, with Dawn dish detergent in the water to finish the cleaning.

3. shadagirl

shadagirl New Member

This is all great and I have a mite treatment plan. How do I now get the aggressive snake out of the enclosure and handled while doing all the treatments. That's the big question.

4. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I've found that flighty snakes are easier to get hold of if you open the enclosure and allow them to come out on their own. They don't act defensive when picked up as they're moving along like they do if you reach into the enclosure for them. You can wear gloves when handling if you're really afraid of a bite, but be prepared if it does happen. Even from a large boa the bite isn't as bad as you imagine it will be IME. Even a little corn snake's strike used to make me jump, even though the teeth are so small you can't feel a bite. Once you get over the fear of being bitten it'd not so bad, lol.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Just a point. The recommendation for no pest strip Is decades out of date. It was discovered that the strips contained atoxin that caused neurological damage in reptiles.