This Disappears When Logged In

Need Help with African Spurred Tortoise

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by naicidrac, Apr 14, 2013.

1. naicidrac

naicidrac New Member

Hello,
    I have a 10 year old african spurred tortoise. I live in TX and we have cold winters so I bring him inside for the winter. I put a heat lamp and hay in a small box. He doesn't eat that much and it looks like he hibernates even though this breed doesn't really do that. I have been doing that for years and then he runs free in my backyard all summer long. Well it has warmed up nicely now and I have moved him outside. I place him in the grass and have cleaned him off. He waits about an hour or two and then goes over to one of his two holes he has made through the years and sits. I pull him out and set him in the backyard and the same thing happens. Normally he starts eating and back to normal. He will make his way to the hole towards the evenings, but now he goes there all the time and he is not eating. What do I do? I am concerned because he does not seem to be his normal self.

Thanks,
    Naicidrac

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, when you say it`s warmed up, what are the outside temps just now?

3. naicidrac

naicidrac New Member

its been 80s to 90 but it just dropped to 60s the last couple of days. He is inside now with a heat lamp on him because it is getting cold at night.