This Disappears When Logged In

Need Help Raising Temps but Keeping Humidity Levels

Discussion in 'Heating' started by longsh0t, Jul 2, 2011.

1. longsh0t

longsh0t Member

My wife's cousin breeds Rainbow Boas and is giving me a baby once they're born which should be any day now. The past couple of weeks I have been trying to get the terrarium ready as far as temps and humidity goes. Here is a list of my equipment.

55 Gallon Aquarium w/ Plexiglass covering most of it with enough open areas for air flow
    Ceramic Heat Emitter
    Large Heatpad
    Medium Heatpad
    2 digital hygrometer/thermometers
    1 Zoo Med Hygrotherm
    1 fogger

I have 2 digital thermometers with one at each end. On the left side I have the fogger with the sensor for the Zoo Med Hygrotherm on the right side. The large heatmat is also on the right side under the tank. Substrate is cypress mulch and sphagnum moss. I have the ceramic heat emitter on the right side as well.

Using the only the heatmat I can achieve the following numbers:

"Cool side" - 75-78 degrees F, 80% humidity
    "Hot side" - 78-81 degrees F, 75% humidity

When I add the emitter to attempt to raise the "hot side" temps I can get to about 84 degrees F but my humidity drops fast. The fogger stays on all day to try to compensate. I'm trying to achieve at least upper 80s on the hot side but not at the expense of the fast humidity loss.

I added the medium heatmat to the right side of the tank and turned off the emitter but it still stays high 70s.

I'm at a loss on what to do now. I need to raise the temps about 10 degrees without sacrificing the humidity. I'd be open to any suggestions anyone might have.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It sound like you still have too much open air flow. Try reducing it a bit.
    As for raising the basking temperature, thas easy. Just raise part of the level of the tank closer to the heat source. Be it a branch or stack of flat stones. The closer the surface gets to the heat source, the warmer it will become.
    This statement concerns me. Breeders should keep babies until they have had several feedings before moving them to new homes.

3. longsh0t

longsh0t Member

Thank you for the reply. In regards to air flow, the tank has 2 11" x 23" openings which I have have covered with plexiglass. The only open areas I have are a 2" x 2" space for the fogger and then a 9" x 11" space that I left open for the heat emitter. I currently have a clamp with an 8" dome but I have seen smaller ones so I will try one of those and then close off the top as much as I can.

And I should have clarified about the babies. I get to pick one out as soon as they're born which should be very soon but yes, she will be keeping them for a little while before I actually get to take it home. Sorry for the confusion...I'm just excited about getting one!