This Disappears When Logged In

Need Help Finding the Right Reptile for My Cage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cstallman, Apr 29, 2014.

1. cstallman

cstallman New Member

Hello I've been looking around trying to find a good reptile for my care but I'm stumped. I currently have a 40 gallon breeder with a coconut fiber stubstraight, several limbs, fake plants and a cave for hiding. If anyone has any ideas on what I could get with this setup while making few changes would be great.

2. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Whatever reptile you get, you'll still need the appropriate equipment (thermostat, undertank heater, sometimes UVB bulb), so it really depends on what you're prepared to spend:) In terms of snakes you could get a Milk Snake, King Snake, Corn Snake, Ball Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Rosy Boa, Hognose Snake, Garter Snake...I don't know how much experience you have with keeping reptiles so I'm just giving you examples off the top of my head that could comfortably live in a 40 galon tank. As for lizards: most geckos, anoles, skinks and uromastyx are the only ones I can think of. You could also keep a wide variety of invertebrates in a tank that size, it really depends on what you're interested in. And please, research any animal before getting it, i.e. its food, appropriate temperature range, activity level, temperament, lighting (UVA/UVB or none), etc. You don't want it to just fit in your cage, you want it to have a long and happy life as well:)

3. cstallman

cstallman New Member

Ya I forgot to mention how u have a uvb strip and several heat lamps. As for experience with reptiles I've own a milk snake and a bearded dragon so its minimal. Ill put some more research into the reptiles you mentioned thank you.

4. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

OK, let us know once you've decided:) Picking a new animal is always exciting, so good luck, I hope you find the best possible companion:)