This Disappears When Logged In

Need Help Building a Snake Rack

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by crazyfroglady, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazyfroglady

crazyfroglady Active Member

So I was searching through the threads and didn't really find anything. Most plans that I have seen for racks call for using melamine coated wood. The problem that I have with this is that melamine is the same stuff that was making people sick in the hurrican katrina trailors. From what I have been told, it is made from formaldihyde. Anywho, what I need is atleast 11 large containers and 6 smaller ones. I am thinking maybe 41qt unless that isn't large enough for a full grown red tail. And the 6 will be used to house African house snakes, corns, and hognoses.

Here's a list of questions that I have

What is the best material to use?
    What size tubs would be big enough for full grown red tails, corns, and BRBs?
    Belly heat or back heat?
    And does anyone know of any plans out there that can fit all of that into one rack?

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Well, the only help I can give you is what I think you could use for the material and that would be plywood. It's easy to seal and would be sturdy enough.
    Sorry I can't be of more help but I have no experience with racks or and of the animals you are going to be housing.

3. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

You could use OSB boards it wouldn't look great but would keep the cost down. Or really any wood that could be sealed.

As far as tub size I wouldn't go smaller than 3' for the adult corns, for Boas and BRB's I would try for at lest 6' with 8' being better.

Belly heat or back heat really doesn't matter so long as the proper temps are there.

You'd be hard pressed to find plans for what you want, I would start by building the rack for the 11 larger snakes using 6' or 8' tubs (or as near as I could find) and build it 2 tubs wide x 6 tubs tall. This would take up a wall of a small room. Then build the smaller rack 4 tubs x 2 tall using 3' tubs, give normal room height your not going to be able to stack the two racks or build one that fits all your needs.

4. crazyfroglady

That's a really good idea. I think we may build something like the picture below first, and then start building the larger racks when the boas start getting above about 6 ft. I still cannot find any plans for this one, just a picture. I believe the larger tubs are about 41qt and I am unsure of the size on the smaller ones.

[​IMG]

5. crazyfroglady

Does anyone know where I can buy large sheets of melamine? I have been assured that it is ok to use. I have called around and lowes has them, but they are not large enough for what I am needing.

6. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

What size of sheets do you require? Most stores should carry 24" x 96" shelving pieces.

You probably won't find a great plan to fit all your needs.
    You can start off by arranging your bins on the floor and placing appropriate thickness boards on top and then more bins and then more boards and so on. It will help you figure out your height as you don't want much space at the top of the bin.
    If you find it too difficult, pm me the exact sizes of your bins and I'll figure something out.

7. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Here are a few articles we house on the site to help you out.

This rack design is for smaller lizard species, but the same principles apply for building on a larger scale.

Breeding Rack Plans

If you are going to use heat tape (inexpensive) to heat the tubs, here are installation instructions:

Wiring Heat Tape

You are going to want to control the heat somehow, so here is how you can tie that heat tape into a dimmer switch:

Wiring Heat Tape Dimmer Switch

Hope those links help. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.