This Disappears When Logged In

Need advice!

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by thejoie, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejoie

thejoie Elite Member

I'm not saying this is going to happen TOMORROW!! But eventually.. I want to get another snake. I adore my little girl!
    What do you guys suggest, it can't be anything that gets too big. Or is really hard to maintain...
    I just want to get some ideas as to what kinds I should be looking into...

2. Dawg

Dawg Elite Member

how big is too big?

3. thejoie

thejoie Elite Member

lol good question...
    I'd like to stay under 10 feet. Ideally like 7-9?

4. Dawg

Dawg Elite Member

ball python 6 to 8 feet
    Red Tailed Boas get between 8 and 12 feet males being smaller of the 2
    there are many others id look at some member snake pics and judge from there

5. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

common boa, kingsnake, rat snake,Ball python, and many others

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you want something similar to the cornsnake I would suggest one of the Kingsnake family. If you want to go a bit different a ballpython would be good but they can have feeding quirks. Boas are great snakes but they do get a bit large and require larger enclosures and food items. There are dwarf boas that only get about 5-6 ft but they are harder to find and much more expensive.

7. thejoie

thejoie Elite Member

what about the central american boa? They're beautiful..

8. Merlin

There is a problem referring to simply "The Central American Boa" I have seen this term refer to everything from the Nicaraguan Boa (5-6 ft) to the basic common boa, females of which can reach 10-12 feet (males are smaller) but are more commonly seen in the 8-10ft range.
    Common boas are a great snake if you are ready for how big they may get. My female has never offered to strike and her mother was used in school and birthday party presentations.

9. thejoie

thejoie Elite Member

a lot of thought is going to have to go into the next snake I get.
    I love my corn, but want to do something different.
    I love the shape of the ball python's head :) And the thickness of their bodies.
    I've heard that if captive bred usually feeding is pretty ok.. and only the WC ones have a really hard time.
    How will I ever make my mind up.. lol, thank GOD I have time :)

10. venus

venus Founding Member

lol,,,your officially addicted :p...My female bp has been acting weird lately,,,maybe I will have some eggs soon ;)

11. thejoie

thejoie Elite Member

MARSHA! You know better than to drop hints like that...
    We'll see how the parents take to the first snake. Otherwise, I need to move out before the second one moves in :)
    My parents come home today BTW... and honestly, I don't think they'll care. But I doubt they'll be leaving on vacation anywhere else anytime soon.

12. venus

venus Founding Member

Awesome joie,,,if the rents are home that means so is the camera,,how about some new pics of everything :D

13. thejoie

thejoie Elite Member

lol they come home tonight.. so tomorrow when the camera charges I PROMISE pics of the Molly, Dyna AND the enclosure. How's that?
    There have been a LOT of new additions in the two weeks they were gone. And I always wonder why they never go on vacation :)

14. Merlin

You can't go by that. These snakes are genetically coded to go off feed in the winter particularly the males. Its part of their breeding cycle. Also the majority of the Ball python babies you see are what is known as captive hatched meaning the eggs are collected and hatched and imported. These snakes have never been loose in the wild.
    Then there is the problem of whether to believe the snake you are getting is captive bred or captive hatched!
    There is no way to tell.
    So If you go for a BP be prepared to deal with feeding irregularities!
    It doesn't hurt the snake but can make the keeper nuts!
    That said I have 2 myself that I have had for years and I love em!

15. thejoie

thejoie Elite Member

lol Merlin!
    Marsha's tempting me already! She's going to get me in trouble!

16. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Joie, you could always go with a smaller boa such as a Kenyan sand boa or a Rosy boa. My preference has always been Mandarin Ratsnakes but they are pricey.

17. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

BPs are great snakes, you just have to be ready to deal with it not eating when you want it to :p. But its not anything out of the ordianry if your BP skips a few feedings, as Merlin said its part of their genetic makeup :D. I went from corn snakes to getting my Suri RTB, who has easily doubeled her size in 6 months. Ken suggested either Kenyan sand boa or a Rosy boa, I think either of those would be a great choice ;)

18. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i have a Rosy boa and i love him alot! plus they only get to be about 3 1/2 feet. 4 feet is a big one for that type. they also come in some pretty colors. there are some pics of mine in the Rosy section. his name is Chaos. :D

19. HerpboyNY

HerpboyNY Elite Member

Check out the genus Lampropeltis, ther eis literally limitless possibilities to choose from in there. Also as said before check out the smaller terrestrial boas or the genus Gongylophis/Eryx(Taxonomic dispute, so I use both when referring to them). I've said this before and I'll say it many times more, they're way over looked! Not to mention O'so cute when they're first born. This is the most extensive site out there on them http://www.kingsnake.com/sandboa/sandboa.html Have fun with whatever you go with.

20. joeking

joeking Elite Member

hognose! HOGNOSE!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.