This Disappears When Logged In

need advice on Columbian Rainbow boa

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Kypitbull, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kypitbull

Kypitbull Member

I have been wanting to get a Columbian Rainbow boa. I have been doing research here and there on them. I have a setup but someone told me it wont work.

Here is what I have : a 40 gallon glass tank and stand, with 3 inches of cypress mulch in it, a water dish on one end, a bowl of water on the other end, a log hiding spot, a vertical piece of driftwood to climb on, and a 100 watt ceramic heater, and a digital thermometer/hydrometer. I am having real problems with the temps and humidity. My tank does have a screen lid, I have tried covering it with plastic, I have a humidifier in the room, I have the water bowls in the tank and have even tried misting the inside of the tank. I have been told that the ceramic heater dries out the air way too fast thus keeping the humidity too low. I also have a problem with getting the temp right. it seems like the spot where my heater is , its about 85-90 degrees but theres not much of a gradual change, like the middle of the tank might be 60-70 degrees.
    Should I just scrap what I have and start over? or should I find another snake for my setup? I was really wanting a Columbian Rainbow Boa. Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I don't know much about the snakes, frogs being more my field... But I imagine you will get people telling you to get rid of the CHE and try for a UTH and a light that can be used for lighting the whole setup as well as help with the temp. Both of these should also not hurt the humidity to much....

3. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Some info hope this helps…

Recommended enclosure size 4' x 2’ x 2'
    Temp- basking 90 degrees, ambient daytime 78-80 degrees, Night 70 degrees
    Recommended Heat source- CHE
    Humidity 75-80%
    Use a moist hide to increase humidity

4. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

wow ok so I'm not the only one that likes the CHE! = )

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I agree with the UTH,,,I use both UTH's and CHE's for my redtails. I turn off the CHE's at night. I use both on the same side and daytime temps stay around 90. the center of the tank in the mid to low 80's and the cool side in the high 70's to 80. (daytime temps) At night with the CHE off the warm side drops to low-mid 80's and the cool to room temp, however they can access a hide above the uth that is warm. I use newspaper as a substrate and have water bowls on both sides so my humidity is never an issue. hope this helps

6. Kypitbull

Kypitbull Member

yes this helps, thats what I was thinking about doing, adding a under tank heater and maybe even hooking them up to a control where I could turn down or up the heat as needed

7. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the information was not from personal experience.

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I have mine on a rheostat (the UTH) and the CHE on a timer.

9. Kypitbull

Kypitbull Member

tell me more kenman please

10. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

the rheostat helps keep a constant temp for the uth (I use human heat pads from walmart, not the big $$$ kind from the petstore) the timer for the CHE is from home depot and is set on a 12 hr cycle. The actual "daylight" they get is from all of my UV lights for the lizards and turtles. I have 2 digital thermometers in each tank so i can monitor both warm and cool end, which I do on a daily basis.

11. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

The best thing about the rheostat is when the house warms up in the summer, ya just turn it down,,,,when it gets cool in the winter,, ya turn it up. It's almost like a dimmer switch to a dining room light.

12. sweety314

sweety314 Member

Is your heart set on the rainbow???? If it is, and you have the money, I'd suggest you start over. Otherwise your snake could get sick from the husbandry issues.

If I had gone to that much work and couldn't get it right for a rainbow, I'd choose a different snake, and then get an enclosed cage and start a NEW setup for the CRB..... but that's just me. I like different snakes, but from reading and study, know that rainbows are VERY picky when it comes to husbandry----they're not as forgiving of husbandry goofs, as say a redtail or corn or ball.

Good luck in getting the temp gradients and the humidity the way you need it to be for your rainbow boa plans!

Sweety314

13. sweety314

sweety314 Member

A rheostat IS the dimmer switch--just another name. And they're really good for constant, STEADY temp environments, but if your room temps fluctuate a lot, they're really HUGE PITAs to keep correcting. I know......I had 4 of them for the different boids and colubrids and I was always adjusting them. Now that the room is temp controlled, they're better to use, but for the touchy and the best solution, an actual THERMOSTAT is best.

14. goldrockin_froggie

goldrockin_froggie Well Established Member

i have a UTH for my BRB in a shoe box line with scottowles and a moss hide over the heat and water, does just fine in there. My other baby boas have a 55 gallon with mesh top and it's covered with cloth and a UTH and a light that is on a timer and i rewet once a week. Works great for me.

15. Kypitbull

Kypitbull Member

well I bought myself one today, and also a under tank heater, I hope it gets warm enough. I'm sure when it gets warmer outside it will be fine since I will have the room closed off to the air conditioning. The problem right now is I have the house temp about 68-70

16. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Sweety314 is corect, a thermostat will give you a constant temp. I only choose not to use one for the reason that the last 1 I had had a built in feature to auto-shut if the temp went above 115 degrees,,,which it did on 3 occasions (while the temp was set at 90) That tells me it wasn't a constant temp. Is it possible my unit was defective ? very much so. At that time it was suggested to me here on this site to try a rheostat and I am just more comfortable with those. Both will work, both are proven. It is a matter of preference.

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ken what type pf thermostat was it that gave you the problem? If it was one of the older ZooMed's they had an electrical problem. I had one that did a melt down on the wiring of my CHE and quit working completely! I am told has been fixed. I have a couple I currently use without any problems.

Kypitbull, I really would have waited till I got the logistics of the tanks ironed out before bringing the snake home but since you already have it we will go from here.

First what devices are you using to measure your temperature and humidity? Some are mych more accurate than others and we would hate to see you subject the snake and yourself to attempting to solve an invalid reading.

You will probably need the additional heat source. I have my ball pythons in a 55 gallon tanks with a 150 watt Ceramic Heat Emitter as well as a daytime incandescent light.
    Your humidity problem is due to the screen top and the amount of air flow which allows your humidity to escape. If you cover the screen top with a peice of plexi it will aid in keeping the humidity up. However you will need to have ventilation. Leaving the opening for the Ceramic Heat Emitter and a little space at both ends of the tank, say 3-4 inches will suffice. You may have to mist the enclosure several times a day or invest in a mister system. Or you could plumb the humidifier so the the vapor goes either directly into the enclosure or opens over the top so the mist settlles into the tank through the openings.

18. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Merlin, it was a BAH 1000 (1000 watt tripple plug-in) from Big Apple Herpetology

19. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I've never had any experience with those units. Only ZooMed and ESU's.

20. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

My advice : don't acquaint yourself with one,,,lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.