This Disappears When Logged In

Need a Sealant!

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by avoidtheboyd, Jan 23, 2011.

1. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

ok, so im putting grout on the hide now and im still trying to decide if i want to paint it. The grout is already a brown color so im leaning towards just the grout color. But anyway, after im done putting on the grout im going to need a sealant. I\Any suggestions? And how can i know its non toxic? I looked at lowes a while back and id see some that are water based but none of them said non toxic that i could see.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

This is what Lizardlandscapes said about waterproof sealer;

There is another brand of grout sealer that is non toxic is called Aqua Mix penetrating sealer
    http://www.aquamix.com.au/products/penetrating-sealer.php

3. avoidtheboyd

I got mod podge since this isnt for a humid hide and but all they had was glossy. Will this be ok?

4. mld

Thats what I used for my bearded dragons fake rock, worked great. Glossy is fine, but if you really hate it, when you put your final coat of Mod Podge on just sprinkle a little sand on the outside. When completely dry just brush off the excess sand. This will also make it less slippery for you lizard to climb.

5. avoidtheboyd

ok, awesome. Im almost done grouting it so i should be completely done by wednesday (gotta work tomorrow :(

6. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

Latex caulk works great and makes clean up easier.

7. mld

So, with the latex caulk, would you just plop some on and then brush it over the hide?

8. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

Yeah basically. I wear gloves and put it on by hand. I have also used that fake granite looking spray paint on top of the latex for a more realistic look. I do let it all air out about a month before i use it. For the frog backgrounds no paint, but cover the wet latex with coir for a nice natural look.