This Disappears When Logged In

Need a Little Help from a Serious Enthusiast

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by jmnelson, Apr 12, 2011.

1. jmnelson

jmnelson New Member

Hello everyone, my name is Jared, I'm new to the site and hoping to find a little help. Here's some background on me and the situation.

I started off with iguanas and had several over the course of 15 years. Started getting into snakes and other big lizards. Currently I have a gorgeous 10 albino burm female (she's my baby) ** a 5 1/2 foot Nile monitor that believe it or not is actually tame and roams around the house with me (lots and lots of handling and training from the time he was about 9 inches long from head to tail), **3 pairs of ball pythons, **2 juvenile hypo Columbian redtails **1 t+ motley central American redtail, **1 very large female columbian redtail, **1 6.5 ft male guyanan redtail, **1 juvenile asian water monitor and of course, still have a classic green iguana. That being said I wouldn't exactly classify myself as a beginner.

Sooo...here's the situation. I've been approached to take on an 18ft normal burm female that's probably weighing in at about 180 pounds. It's another one of those tragic stories we all hear about wayyyy too often where someone bought an animal without doing any research and as it got bigger and bigger or the novelty wore off the animal got left, abused or forgotten about. With this particular girl, she's now it's so big they don't have any way of handling it. Obviously they stuck with it long enough for it to reach almost full growth but the snake hasn't been handled at all besides tossing it food for quite some time.

Being a burm owner already, I'm well aware of the potential for injury and/or death from a snake this big, the feeding requirements and space needed. I'm stoked for my girl to reach that size, but I've had her since she was about 6 months old and we've grown together. I trust her as much as I trust my balls and redtails. This big girl is going to need to be moved out of the house she's been kept holed up in and transported to my place and then cleaned up and setup into a new enclosure capable of keeping her safe and healthy.

I definitely wouldn't mind some advice taking on such a behemoth for handling and transport. Apparently I've the only one crazy enough to even attempt to save this girl. None of the area zoos or shelters would take her. I've been thinking about turning it away, but as a reptile lover, the idea of this girl sitting with no proper care and nobody to take her just eats at me. The current owner (if you even wanna call him that, i can think of a few more colorful words) has already hinted at just letting the her loose to try to survive on her own. I really really don't wanna let that happen. Any suggestions??

Thanks

2. andys3ballpythons

andys3ballpythons Elite Member

rent a u-haul? im not sure honestly, ive never transported a snake that large, hope someone comes to help

3. boaterr

boaterr Well-Known Member

I move my Giants by putting them in large trash containers, always works fine for me.

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I realize this is roughly 10 days old- any updates? Did you take her, approximately where are you located? If he (previous owner) did let her go, he needs to be turned into Animal Control for turning an exotic animal loose into the ecosystem! It IS against the law! He needs to be taken out andworked over with a 2" x 4"--AFTER he surrenders the animal.

Now, personal feelings aside-- if he turns the snake loose, he should be turned into animal control. If he does not, the main concern is the snake, it needs to be removed from his care and given a better home. Offer to take it if you still want it, but rest assured- that it does have the potential to kill. I know you are aware of that, but with a snake that size that you have not had any real contact with will need STRICT adherance to the rules for large constrictor safety. Good luck and let us know how it goes.