This Disappears When Logged In

Need a Good Beginner Turtle

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Hedge, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hedge

Hedge Elite Member

Bigtyny there's actually no herp shows anywhere near me and breeders are really hard to find! The closest herp shows are in Britain and I don't exactly have the money for flying over and back for a show! :(....really annoying! All I have to go by are a couple of pet shops and we all know how their care advice can differ!

Schlegelbagel I never really thought of using something like that for an enclosure but would something like that not look really ugly in your house?

2. untsmurf

untsmurf Elite Member

You can really dress them up. You can build a wooden enclosure for the stock tank or preformed pond. Or you can stack big rock slabs around the outside to hide it. Basically, it'll look like an indoor pond.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Not really. They wrapped the outside of it with this sort of bamboo mat they got at Ikea. They also have tall house plants around the outside. Looks really tropical!

4. Bigtyny

Bigtyny Active Member

Hedge I will look up the breeders that I see them on my other forums and you may ask this vet if she knows any she is a reptile vet http://www.veterinary.ie/

5. Hedge

Hedge Elite Member

Thanks bigtyny...any info helps!

6. The JD

The JD Elite Member

I'll add on just because I absolutely love turtles! What ever one has said is basically right. The day to day care isn't that bad, but it's the cost of the initial set up. If you pay to set it up right, doing the rest is easy. When it comes to tanks, the bigger the better. If money is an issue, you can easily buy a big rubbermaid tub or plastic container. But if you're looking for something easy on the eyes, your best bet is a glass tank, but that'll cost you.

The next big step is filtration. It's recommended to get filtration for twice the amount of actual water, but I recommend 3 times as much. You'll be paying for a big filter, but in the long run, it pays off. You'll need a canister filter to handle that load of water. I'd also recommend undergravel filters if you want longer times in between cleaning the tank, but more work when it comes to cleaning the tank. Also, I know a lot of people here don't like gravel due to impaction, so be warned it is a risk.

I think it's a good idea to have some small feeder guppies in there as well, to provide some food for the turtle, but mainly to clean up leftovers from the turtle. They're messy and having tank-mates to do some cleaning goes a long way. I'm especially fond of crayfish, they do excellent jobs at cleaning and if the right size, turtles love to eat them.

Also adding live plants will be a big boost to keeping the tank clean, although the turtles may eat or slice up any live plants. I've been unsuccessful in keeping any plants in mine, but I also have a very aggressive turtle. Your luck may vary.

In my experience, a single turtle in a tank the right size with the right filtration will require very very little maintainence. I have a single 11 inch turtle in a 210 gallon tank with enough filtration for about 600 gallons or more and I probably clean the tank once every 5-6 months. IMHO, they're easy to take care of as long as you set them up right and feed them on-time, but that's the same deal of most pets.

7. Broken_Lyrix

Broken_Lyrix Elite Member

This may not have been my thread, but you guys are really helpful lol. Turtle setups aren't as expensive as some make them out to be, you really just have to know where to go. I got off lucky with my turtles. We used to own a small aquatics shop, and it was just fish along with pet supplies, but when we closed down, we kept the tanks :D :D So when I decided to get my turtles, I have tanks from beginning of growth to the end of growth.
    I definitely recommend getting the plastic ponds, you know...prefab lol. I would if I had the space to put it somewhere, they already have landings and with a little modification they can have great hiding places too, depending on the shape you get...and there are TONS you can look at.

Just my input...hope it is alright lol

8. Marilyn

Marilyn Member

I'm new to the site, but I have to say that box turtles are sooo easy and good for beginners! Outside enclosures are best for these guys but you can raise them well inside. Just make sure you take them out everyday and let them get some sunshine. Gut-load your worms and make sure they have water to drink and soak in, change it everyday.
    If they are outside, wheat hay and leaf litter should be good enough for hibernation. They are easy first reptiles.

9. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

I personaly keep my slider in a large rubbermaid.. It's low enough to the ground that you look down on it, not through the side.

There is also always the option of tortises, they look alot like turtles, but you would'nt have to worry about all that water.

They still need their Uvb, and space to roam, but they make great pets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.