This Disappears When Logged In

Natural looking wood

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by CMKoehler, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMKoehler

CMKoehler Elite Member

I am looking for suited, natural looking wood to put into my gecko's tanks. After the ice storm here in Oklahoma I got some wood, soaked it in bleach and all that and just put it in the oven for a bit, setting off all my smoke alarms :)
    So now I am done with Do-It-Yourself and wondering where I can buy natural looking wood for my tanks. All the stuff I saw at my pet stores is really small. I am looking for some "big" branches to fit into a 15 H tank.

Where do you get all your wood?

Thanks!

Christoph

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You turned the heat up too high.
    You can still use natural wood. Just set your oven at 325 and put the wood in there for about a half an hour. You should not have any smoke problems at that temp.

Where in Ok are you?

3. CMKoehler

CMKoehler Elite Member

Yeah that may have been the problem, I did 450 :)

I am in Norman.

4. Merlin

That was definatle the problem!
    451 degrees is the point at which paper combusts!

I know what you mean about the ice! I am in OKC!

5. CMKoehler

CMKoehler Elite Member

Yep one of the branches got a little singed, oops.
    Alton (Good Eats) taught me that wood starts burning at about 550 F, so I stayed away from that high a temperature.
    Did you guys lose electricity? Ours was out for a day and a half right at first. Moved my Leo right next to the fireplace but I am sure he was freezing. He made it out okay though, he's as happy as ever!

6. Merlin

Nope we lucked out. Power was out all around us but we didn't lose ours.
    This time.
    As long as you don't take the temperature over 350 there should not be a problem.

7. okreptilerescue

okreptilerescue Elite Member

I'm in tulsa, and we lost power for 9 days.... 1,000$ later (generator rental and gas) we *only* lost one animal, had one regurge, and have 2 with URI's.... i say *only* b/c 4 problems out of 40 something animals, isn't too bad of odds i guess....

As for my wood- I go down to the river- way back in the wooded area- watch for ticks! and get drift wood.
    There are fewer places for bugs and things to hide.
    I like the driftwood look better than bark myself too....

I just soak it in the tub if the piece is small enough or i spray it with bleach and leave it in the summer heat to bake....

something small enough for a leo you could put in the tub or oven.... (at 350- lol)

anyway- just another option for yha if you don't like the bark look...

beth

8. CMKoehler

CMKoehler Elite Member

Thanks for the tip! I will just get some driftwood then next time and bake it at the right temp :)
    No fun with the electricity loss, sorry for the animals.

9. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I set mine at 400 degrees for 30 minutes and don't have a problem. Be sure the branch isn't touching the side of the oven as well.

:)

10. CMKoehler

CMKoehler Elite Member

The branch touching the oven may have been my problem. Will do it right the next time with some nicer driftwood :)

11. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

if you decide to make your own, I know you can do vines by taking rope, for thicker stuff braid multiple pieces together, then cover it with Great stuff and then paint or epoxy over.

12. CMKoehler

CMKoehler Elite Member

Hm thanks for the tip. Right now I have a Pothos plant in the enclosure that I hope will take off soon :)

13. Colleen

Colleen Elite Member

That one good reason to live 1/2 a mile from one of the Great Lakes is the free driftwood. When I need a new piece, I just have my husband look out for a good piece while he is running. He moves it so we can come back and pick it up with the car.

14. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I do the same thing Colleen. But I live about an hour away. I also don't bother baking or bleaching. Never done it for nearly 20 yrs and never had an issue. Some smaller species of reptiles might be more prone to new insects being introduced into their environment however. I purposely put oak leaves into my monitor enclosures because I want the bugs that are on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.