This Disappears When Logged In

Natural Light Plant Grow Bulbs

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by DesertFlowerGypsy, Oct 21, 2013.

1. DesertFlowerGypsy

DesertFlowerGypsy New Member

I have a young savannah monitor and I was wondering if I can use a plant grow bulbs for her natural light ? would that provide her with the right UVB lighting?

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, captive Varanids kept under supportive conditions do not need exposure to UVB to remain in good health, though there`s no evidence to suggest offering it is harmful if you follow the manufacturers instructions when using artificial. Can you give some details of how you keep the monitor; size and type of enclosure, ambient and surface temps, humidity range and how you measure those, plus the diet?
    You can use any fluorescent tube for supplementary lighting, (even a household one), or something like a 2-0 would be fine, they`re usually 6,500k).
    Can you put a few photos up of the whole enclosure and the monitor (without any forced handling)? Thanks!
    Edit: Have you read the caresheet here at the HC yet? Savannah Monitor Caresheet (Varanus exanthematicus)

3. DesertFlowerGypsy

DesertFlowerGypsy New Member

ok thank you when I get back home I will post the photos

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Plant grow bulbs do not generate UVB light. Only light in the visible spectrum heavy in the red and blue wavelengths.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

The most common bulbs available that provide UVB are fluorescent (which does not project it far - only about 12 inches) and mercury vapor (much greater range). Most plant grow lights do not provide UVB.

If your light bulb box doesn't say it has UVB then it doesn't have UVB. Having just UV or UVA is not the same as UVB.

6. jarich

jarich Elite Member

I'd go farther than that Stefan. Not only is there no evidence to show UVB is harmful, in fact there is a growing body of evidence to show that it is indeed beneficial to the health of captive monitors. Like many humans, who are not aware they are Vitamin D deficient, monitors can look perfectly healthy to the naked eye. They can breed, eat and behave mostly normal without UVB exposure. However, as it is tied closely to immune function and natural hormone production, also like humans, it is best to provide UVB exposure when possible.

As Merlin said though, plant grow lights do not produce UVB. For a monitor enclosure, High Output T5 fluorescent fixtures seem to work best. I would recommend either the Arcadia or Zoo Med brands. Both will project good UVB exposure over 36 inches when fitted with a reflector.