This Disappears When Logged In

Natrix Natrix - European Grass Snakes

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Infernalis, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

until recently virtually never seen in US snake collections.

They are not Garter snakes, but fall under the same class of Natricine snakes, Comprised of Natrix, water snakes (Nerodia), Storeria snakes (Dekayi & Occipitomaculata) and Thamnophis (Garter snakes)

Mine originated in the Czech republic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Very nice!

Looks kind of like a ring neck, does it have bright belly colors?

3. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

They're pretty cool!

4. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

No very black. Here is a picture from the internet of one playing dead (like a hognose snake does)

[​IMG]

5. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Cool! Didn't know they would do that!

6. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Wow! Once again... I'm jealous! Where do you even come across some of your collection?

7. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

suck up to all the breeders, launch about a dozen web sites, suck up to all the breeders, oh I already said that ;)

Virtually every domain beginning with the word Thamnophis is mine, and thamnophis.com belongs to a friend, it opens doors.

8. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

Brilliant! :x

9. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

blame it on godaddy, they keep having domain sales.

10. jimmy62alan

jimmy62alan Member

Hi Guys,
    the Natrix Natrix Grass snake in the largest snake we have in England UK. There are laws in this country regarding collecting and selling them, you can only sell CB Grass snakes and you must have proof that the snakes are captive bread???.
    They can let out a powerful musk smell if startled while on the fish diet, I have read somewhere that if you can change their diet to pinkies/fuzzies this does reduce the smell and in some cases stop's it now this is second hand info so don't take it for gospel could be worth a go changing the diet and the smell of their dropping do improve as well.
    If you google the Grass Snake there is a lot of variant colours that may interest you guys, I have been meaning to go out and get a grass snake but have never found time to do so. I will post photo's if I do find one at a later date.
    The Czech Grass Snakes do look good though,
    cheers for now
    ALAN
    Sheffield, England, Uk