This Disappears When Logged In

Names?

Discussion in 'Pythons *General*' started by Henneberry, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Henneberry

Henneberry Member

I recently bought a ball python and i know its hard to tell whether it is a male or female so i haven't named it yet. Usually i'm eager to give a new pet a name but this time, its a pet of my own and i have no idea what to name it. Any suggestions?

2. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

it would help if there where pics

3. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Ball pythons tend to be easier to sex than other snakes. Its not an error proof method, but the cloacal spurs on male ball pythons tend to be larger and have more of an inward hook than females. Probing done by a professional is the best way to do it.

4. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

i vote sylvester

5. pyke

pyke Active Member

Yes mine i can almost garentee is a Male, and i keep telling her that hers is a Female, but she doesn't wanna believe what i have to say lol. (henneberry is my gf lol)
    shes been thinking Ace for a male, and Moziac for a female, as well as lilly and others.
    these are the only pics i have of her snake hers is on the left, mine on the right.
    IMG00002-20091219-1610.jpg
    IMG00003-20091219-1610.jpg
    Sorry for quality taken from my blackberry

Attached Files:

6. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Hi, if I have not welcomed you yet, welcome to HCN, if I have welvcomed you please disregard the welcome. :). I have 3 male & 4 female ball pythons and most of mine have Egyptian names (Cleopatra,Marc Antony, Caesar,Imhotep& Anck su Namun). The other 2 are Athena & Eos. You can name them for characters on tv/movies, literature, history- the possibilities are endless. I also have 2 corn snakes named Buffy & Angel and 2 of my boa constrictors are Spike & Drusilla obviously my wife and I used to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer series. So names are a personal preference. Think on it and you will come up with the right name. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

7. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Those are awesome names, David, I love them :) Mine is a male and his name is Pendragon after the pagan king. Pagans think very highly of snakes.

8. Henneberry

Henneberry Member

Thanks for the help guys! Im still thinking of names and wondering if i should go with a simple common name like Jessy, or something different like Mosaic or Ace.
    Right now im trying to let her settle in as i made a mistake and did not do that when she first arrived at my house. I was excited to have her and had her out all the time. I was given advise and told that she probably peed on me twice because she was stressed. I plan on waiting a week or two before handling her again and i hope she gets better. Any other suggestions on what i should do to make her life better?

Thanks!

9. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

only handle at night as that is when they are awake. My roommate made the mistake with his for a while thinking since the eyes are open (lack of eye lids makes it hard to close them.. ) his was awake n would take her out any time and it would make her grumpy in the day.

10. Henneberry

Henneberry Member

Really? That's interesting to know, i didn't know that. I think she is going to be a bad shedder because when i got her, the pet store told me she had recenly shed a few weeks ago, and she still had skin on her. She still has skin on her to this day and her eyes have gotten to be a blue-ish color so I think she is getting ready to shed again. Im trying to make my tank moist so it is easier for her to shed. I put some wet/damp moss in her tank but im not really sure where to put it. She is in her hide most of the time so im wondering if i should put some in there or would that be a good idea. right now i just have it around the edges. Any advise?

11. Orca

Orca Elite Member

If you can get the conditions right, she shouldn't have problems shedding anymore. Make sure she has a water dish large enough to soak in if she wants to. Also making a humid hide is probably the easiest way to go. You can make those out of plastic tupper ware type containers by keeping the lid on and cutting a hole in the side large enough for the snake to go in. Fill the inside with Eco earth and keep it moist in there.

EDIT: While the snake is shedding, I would not try to feed her or handle her much. The eye caps make it hard for her to see.

12. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I totally agree with Orca. If the humidity is right and she is healthy, shedding should not be a problem. Humid hides are a very good idea and so simple to make(I use plastic coffee cans with a lid and just cut a hole for the snake to get in & out, then just put in some damp sphagnum moss).

Orca thanks for the compliment on my names---Burms are Ramses&Isis;Balls are Cleopatra,Athena,Caesar,Marc Antony,Imhotep,Anck su Namun & Eos;Boa Constrictors are Cayenne,Spike & Drusilla;Corn Snaked are Angel,Buffy & Caliente;Blood Python is Jaws; White-lipped python is Betelgeuse;Phillipine Mangrove snake is Neheb-Kau(Egyptian snake god of the underworld) ;Mali Uromastyx is Steve Irwin McConley.

Incidentally, I am very fond of Pendragon- I love names from the King Arthur era. :D

13. SnakeLady0

SnakeLady0 Member

I hate to disagree with anyone, but in my experience they don't mind being held during the day. I have several snakes 2 of which are Balls. I take them out at all times of the day. I have found that they eat more readily at night though.

14. Flint

Flint Elite Member

I think the advise to handle only at night was to help the snake get settled in being a new addition. My BRB is nocturnal as well, and I just didn't hold him at all for the first 2 weeks. Now that he's been around me for almost a year, he's fine being taken out any time of day.