This Disappears When Logged In

Nalvason in Water?

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Rakoladycz, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I'm sure many of you have used Nalvason or know what it is. We get little bits of it at a time from my fiance's work (with employer's permission) and use it for all kinds of purposes around the house as well and cleaning enclosures and accessories. The veterinarian she works for used to keep herps as was telling her that we should put Nalvason in there water(Can't remember how much but less than the 1:20 or 1:30 I'm sure). I have never done it but she has tried to convince me too. When I looked the product up online there are alot of warnings that go along with it about ventilation, contact, and various other things. That means to me don't. But him being a doctor...

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I do not know what Nalvason is.

3. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Nolvasan is a brand name for chlorehexadine. It comes in a surgical scrub form and a solution form to diluted and used to clean wounds, flush abcesses, even flush teeth. I have never heard of ingesting it , other than as a oral rinse, but NOT to swallow. You need to verify that no wires are being crossed in the communication line, I work in a 24 Hour emergency clinic, and have never heard of any doctor recommend adding it to drinking water, it can be a caustic subsance, especially if not diluted properly, on wounds, let alone the g i tract.

And what reason would you need to add a antimicrobial/antifungal scrub/ solution to any living things drinking water?

ok, so now I cant stop thinking about this, it would have to be majorly diluted to almost nothing to be safe, alot of things have chlorhexadine in it.

Seriously ask this vet and have him explain to you the reason for this, for I am curious now, lol. I have work in the am, and ill buzz the question past a couple of the doctors i work with.

4. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

First of all you can relax. He was only talking about adding a few drops. He is a Veterinarian Doctor of 35+ years, and just because you have never heard of it doesn't mean anything. This is a person I regard as highly educated and very well cultured.

All the reposts were unnecessary there is an edit button

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Randy, Jen never heard of it. She isn't the same person asking the questions.
    I merged the triple post.

6. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

My fault Rich. I noticed that, I wasn't meaning Jen's I should have been more specific on who I was replying to. Sorry Jen! and yes bucher70 is correct on what Nalvason is.

Like I said we acquire ours from the vets office she works at, but this product is it from Pet Meds.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Chlorhexadine, I am familiar with (used it on many a reptile at work.). It was the brand name that was not catching - we never called anything by it's brand name. Just it's chemical name.

8. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

I honestly meant no disrespect, I am truely curious as to why you would add it to drinking water =-). Thats why I said talk to,the vet you know, and I was gonna buzz it past a few of the vets that I work with. After re reading it, it does come off kind of rude. I do apologize.

9. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

At her work they call it by the brand I suppose then. I take it you have never heard of it being used in this regard either?

All is well bucher. I believe it was just a precautionary thing to prevent any bacterial growth and maybe a cleaning rinse for them should they go through it. The next time I have an opportunity to talk to the doctor I will ask him to explain should I not get an answer sooner. Sorry for getting a bit defensive as well.

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Chlorhexadine products are warned against exposure to eyes or mucous membranes.
    I AM NOT A VET but I would see no real gain to adding it in minute amounts to drinking water. What I would worry about since it is a broad spectrum antibiotic/antifungal product would be the constant exposure creating drug resistant organisms.

11. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

so here i am at work , on herpcenter ( hee hee) , And we do have a water additive for drinking water, it contains chlorhexidine gluconate, I believe Nolvasan contains chlorhexidine acetate. It also( The additive, not nolvasan) contains xylitol which is a type of sugar that has antimicrobial properties. Unfortunately the concentrations are not listed on the product, so as to how much is being added to the water Idk.

Many of the docters were a little leary about adding chlorhexidine acetate to drinking water, mind you these are all small animal vets, that dont work with exotics, and the product is marketed for dogs and cats. So I guess that I dont really have an answer at this time.
    But I do agree with merlin about causing resistant bacteria, by adding such small amounts of that product to te water, and question that it is worth doing at all in those concentrations.
    Food for thought.

I guess just talk to your vet buddy and see if he has any input.