This Disappears When Logged In

Naja kaouthia

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by Michael_C, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Russells viper I beleive is the common name...someone correct me if Im wrong.

2. RobAGD

RobAGD New Member

Thanks, Did a little bit of looking and got some good info from Wiki.

That things got some nasty Venom !

-R

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Indeed it does!! And youre more then welcome :D..welcome to the HCN by the way...We are glad to have ya

4. Michael_C

Michael_C Elite Member

Robert,

Russell's Viper is the common name for the species, Siamese Russell's Viper for the subspecies. Of all the snakes in Thailand, this is the one that I would least like to be bitten by (if I ever had to be bitten); not that it is anymore deadly than some of the Elapids, just the amount of damage and pain that a bite inflicts.

It is not really too aggressive, unless you consider standing its ground as aggressive. It hisses much louder than a cobra and quick to strike when disturbed, but cobras tend to be much more nervous. There are very few aggressive snake species in the world. Most will not come after you, except for a quick burst to try to scare you off. I have only had one snake actually come at me, constantly striking: a ca. 15cm Enhydris plumbea, which would strike so hard, its body actually came off the ground!

5. Lyn'sSteve

Lyn'sSteve Elite Member

Michael_C,

Sorry I never caught this post before, but those are some awesome pics you have! Good job in avoiding a bad situation!

Steve

6. geckoguykc

geckoguykc Elite Member

I wish i had the chance to relocate the diamondbacks out here before people killed them.......................sometimes people have the stupidest reasons for killing snakes.........................the main problem here is that diamondbacks den up (when i say den up i mean 50plus snakes bunched up together in one place) under pieces of concrete and huge tank batterys at oil wells then when they are moved the people come and slaughter all of them...................................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.