This Disappears When Logged In

Naja kaouthia

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by Michael_C, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_C

Michael_C Elite Member

Two days ago, I had a visitor that entered my home (inside) from the field (which begins behind my home and <20m from the side of my home. Here is a picture taken about 20m from my home.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture of my visitor, Naja kaouthia. Sorry for not taking a picture before capture, but my family's safety and securing the little Naja was my first concern.
    [​IMG]
    Here are pictures from the Naja kaouthia release, away from any home and in an area where I have seen the same species in the field (one from very close range that crawled right up to me).
    [​IMG]
    The reason for its common name: Monocled Cobra
    [​IMG]
    Chased to the safety of the leaf litter, bushes and trees:
    [​IMG]
    No, I usually do not capture venomous snakes, even though they are part of my field research. I am usually content with identification, conditions of capture (weather/microclimate/behavior), approximate size, exact location and time. However, I will capture them if they are in danger or people are in danger (such as entering a populated neighborhood), so I definitely do not suggest people come over here and capture Naja or some of the other dangerous snakes. It is not like the US or Europe here, they have some seriously dangerous snakes in Southeast Asia.

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Haha, great pics!

3. venus

venus Founding Member

He's very pretty Michael,,good to know everyone was safe. Fantastic pics.

4. SpindleHead

SpindleHead Elite Member

Takes some "guts" to capture and relocate something so dangerous. I'm afraid I would be of little use in that sort of situation. I think it's great that you had the oppourtunity to release it safely away from people.

5. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Wow, that is awesome. makes the snakes around here look like kittens. I'm glad you safely relocated it without injury to yourself or the snake.

6. Brittone05

Brittone05 Elite Member

Fantastic pics - I wouldn't have been able to get focused on anything for quite some time after coming face to face with that little guy though ;)

Glad your family were all okay though after the "visit"

Can I ask, how oftern do you find things like that close to your home?? In the UK I am lucky to be threatened by an earthworm!!!

7. Michael_C

Michael_C Elite Member

So far there has been another Naja kaouthia that I caught two months ago ca. 300m on the same small road as mine (entering/trying to enter someone's yard).
    [​IMG]
    Late last year there was a Daboia russellii siamensis that I captured just 30m from my home entering the neighborhood, which worries me much more than any Naja.
    [​IMG]
    These creatures have just as much a right to live as we do, even more so; they were here before people invaded their territory. I just try to ensure they have the opportunity to live (and for me to study them). The people here have a greater regard for living things than any people that I have come across (and I have traveled a good portion of the world), but they will kill things that pose a danger to them.

8. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Thanks for sharing Michael, now I know why I miss Thailand so much !!!!!

9. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Don't know if I will ever have the nerve, or in my case, insanity, to tackle bare-handing venomous snakes. Heck, even with a snake stick I would error to the side of caution and give them plenty of room.

10. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

beautiful pics. glad everything worked out okay for everyone. :)

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds to me like a very wise attitude to have!
    Most cases of venomous bites are the result of someone who had no idea what they were doing fooling around with something that should have just been left alone.

12. Michael_C

Michael_C Elite Member

Yes, you are right, I should have ignored the peoples calls and just left the Daboia russellii siamensis continue on across the street to the small park where the neighborhood children play so one of them could suffer a horrible death of pain and massive hemorrhaging :eek: or maybe allowed the Naja kaouthia to get into that person’s yard down the street which as only about 4m from a house with children or maybe even allow the one that came into my house to stay and invite it to afternoon tea the next day. Yes, that would have been much better than using my decades of field experience with reptiles to help the people of my neighbourhood by relocating potentially deadly snakes.

One of the main reasons I am in Thailand is for herpetological field research! In fact, I am on my way to one of Southeast Asia's largest protected primary rainforests for a few days shortly after making this post,Although I usually only observe/take notes of venomous snakes and do not make it a normal practice of handling venomous snakes, I am more than happy to use my experience to remove them from inside my own home or remove them from the neighbourhood when called upon.

Statistically, more snake bites are recorded from people trying to kill snakes, than any other cause (or in the US by drunk 'red necks' (same kind of people that participate in rattlesnake round-ups?) that had snakes 'attack' them- they were also trying to kill them, but there appears to be a correlation between drunk 'red-necks' and Crotalus spp. 'attacks'). Most herpetologists have been bit through the bag than by capture. When I come back from the field, I would be more than happy to share the references if you request them.

13. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

I do not believe Merlin directed that statement towards you, just making a valid statement in general.

Nice catches, however, makes me wish I still had a hot room.

14. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I don't think his statements were directed toward you, either. An experienced herpetologist is not your average, run of the mill snake guy.

This is not your average forum. Everyone here is very respectful and knowledgeable. Your experience here is a welcome addition!

15. Michael_C

Michael_C Elite Member

Sorry Merlin, if that was not directed towards me. It just appeared that way to me. If the statement was in general, yes, I do not think the inexperienced should be playing with venomous snakes. I was handling snakes for 10 years before handling a venomous one.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Take a deep breath and please re-read the wording of my post!
    I was replying to Knox and was referencing
    "PEOPLE WHO HAD NO IDEA WHAT THEY WERE DOING!"

This has nothing to do with someone who has the knowledge and training to safely handle such animals, particularly with regard to relocating them for safety reasons.
    As a matter of fact the aforementioned drunken rednecks are exactly who came to mind.

Please read things a bit more carefully before going off on someone.

17. Ssativa

Ssativa Subscribed User Premium Member

Awesome pics. Cobras are my favorite. Just for admiring though.

18. Disturbedcries87

Disturbedcries87 Elite Member

michael are you from Southeast Asia or did you move there to study?

19. Michael_C

Michael_C Elite Member

Merlin, the problem was that I read too much into it, believing it was directed towards me.

Disturbedcries87, I am not from Southeast Asia, but grew up in California, which is a state of great herpetological diversity. I spent between 1/3 to 1/2 of my adult life overseas. One of the main reasons I decided to settle here is for study; this region has not been seriously worked herpetologically in the last 30-40 years, with the exception of Thomas Ziegler's comprehensive work in Vietnam. I have also come to love Thailand, the country, its people, language and culture, and have visited/worked short term in the Kingdom many times over the past 20+ years. I could only fill a little 'post it' note of the things I do not like here, but I could fill volumes about what I like and love here.

20. RobAGD

RobAGD New Member

Michael - Please pardon my personal ignorance, but what is teh common name of Daboia russellii siamensis ? I happen to be just hunting around ( not much on herping ) and starting looking at people pics.

I would guess that it is a much more aggresive snake vs that Cobra ?

Great pics btw !

-Robert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.