This Disappears When Logged In

Mysterious Skin Affliction is Back

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by AjaMichelle, May 8, 2012.

1. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Hi Guys,

Monty's mystery skin wounds are back, for the third time.

I have already gone over his enclosure with some nylon stockings. His enclosure hasn't been wet (conditions I thought to have been the cause last time).

It's not as bad as the last time (pictured below), but I'm out of ideas.

P2190625.jpg

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Aja, is it possible the condition didn`t actually completely heal, and it`s gradualy got worse again?

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

That's definitely a possibility. All visible symptoms were completely gone after his last shed, and his new spots just showed up within the last week or two. He only has a handful compared to the photo above.

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Could it be some sort of fungus maybe :confused: Kind of like athletes foot for humans?? Could you get a sample to the Vet's, maybe they can figure something out....

5. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

looks like scale rot

6. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

My vet is going to call me on Thursday. I'll see if I can get him in.

I don't know how he could have scale rot if his enclosure is clean and just humid enough. Any ideas?

7. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Have you tried betadine soaks?

You said it went away, then came back ? Any blisters or fluid leaking from the areas?

8. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I have not. I didn't want to do too many different things at once, and I was trying to keep him clean so they didn't get infected. Any time I've seen scale rot it looks like it's oozing and irritated in between the scales. His scales look like the top most layer has been torn off, like if he scraped himself. Does that sound consistent with scale rot? Does scale rot come back after a shed?

Yeah it went away completely and came back. These are from his shed mid-March
    P3270005.jpg

P3270007.jpg

The spots just came back this week. So it's been almost 6 weeks since I've seen anything out of the ordinary. :confused:
    There are also only a handful now. I'm going to try to take some pics tonight when I get him out.

Edit: I haven't seen any blisters or fluid leaking. I'll take some pics of the scales I find if there are any tonight.

Attached Files:

9. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

In the beginning stages of scale rot the scales discolor like the ones in your photos, they can flake and crack or look scraped much like you described earlier, when blisters form this is an advanced stage and is much more dangerous to the snakes health. I have lost several rescues due to the advanced stages of scale rot.

What substrate do you use? For the time being until you get this figured out I would take out substrate(if you use it) and replace with paper towels. If he does has some sort of bacterial infection this will keep him cleaner and easier to treat.

I would start with betadine soaks, just ,ake sure he does not submerge his head or drink the solution. Mix water with betadine until it is the color of a strong tea,soak him for 10 minutes,dry him off and replace in enclosure.

You can also apply neosporin without pain reliever to the affected scales.

10. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I'm sorry for the snakes you lost! Thanks very much! You've been incredibly helpful. I'm worried about this because it's the worst around his spurs. The only substrate I use is a quick dry rug from Lowe's. It's fairly soft and I clean it every time he defecates, and regularly every few weeks. I'll add some paper towels to the enclosure as a substrate. What about butcher paper?

How often should I bathe him?

Also, I should be in contact with my vet tomorrow.

11. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

No problem, I am glad to help!

The rug may be an issue, are there chemicals in the rug? what is it made out of? What makes it "quick dry"?
    What are you using to clean it with? all of these could be causing issues.

Personally I would keep him on either the butcher paper or paper towels. Both are easy to take out and throw away and replace...

12. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I'm working on trying to figure out what brand the rug is. It's quick dry because it's not absorbent. It has a rubber, non-slip bottom so water just runs off of it. It still gets wet and takes a little while to dry, but only an hour or two, instead of hours like a poly-cotton blend. I don't think it's treated with any chemicals.

I use "Unique" to clean the rug. It's a natural enzymatic cleaner. It's non-toxic and safe. I also use a dilute chlorhexidine solution and a seventh generation soap to clean the enclosure.

13. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I went to Lowe's today and found the rug. It's vinyl with a polypropylene fiber overlay.

I also spoke with my vet. She wants me to do the betadine soak and take him in to see if we can figure out whether it's bacterial or fungal. :)

Edit: I was going to do the baths like every few days. Does that sound like a good idea?

14. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

I would do a betadine soak every day, then allow the snake to dry and apply neosporin (without pain reliever) If it is beginning stages of scale rot you really want to catch it before it gets to the stage where blisters are forming.

Please make sure the snake does not attempt to drink the soaking solution!

I would get rid of the rug, I found this about polypropylene:
    "Polypropylene is liable to chain degradation from exposure to heat and UV radiation such as that present in sunlight. In external applications, it shows up as a network of fine cracks and crazes that become deeper and more severe with time of exposure."

I don't know how long you have been using the rug,but there is a possibility that the fibers have cracked and bacteria has grown somewhere along the lines,especially with the constant heat required for the snake....

15. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

How is your guy doing? any changes? What did the vet say?

16. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I have been doing the soaks every other day and cleaning his enclosure with a dilute bleach solution. The rug should still be intact. It's never directly under his heat panel. I'm not going to use it anymore though, I don't want to risk it.

My vet told me the same thing you did lol! :) She said to do the betadine soaks every other day or every few days, and apply a topical antibiotic cream when I have some substrate. She wants to me to feed him a lot and get him to shed as soon as possible. If this comes back again I need to take him in to have what is essentially a skin scraping but without the scraping. That way we can see if there are any bacterial or fungal organisms present. She says it's unlikely to be fungal, but by using bleach and betadine I can take care of anything fungal or bacterial.

Monty seems to really dislike the soaks. He kind of freaks out and tries to bust out of the box.

I've done two soaks so far and he actually looks a LOT better. And his enclosure really doesn't smell at all after only two cleanings.

I think this happened because the chlorhexidine wasn't actually disinfecting the enclosure. It works well on feeding dishes but not actually on the enclosure.

I'm feeding him a 5 pound rabbit today, which is comparable in girth to his widest point. So he shouldn't be bloated for long as a result, and I can soak him again in two days.

17. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Oh man... my sand boa has these little dicolored spots on her scales but they're not nearly as dark as your snake's are. I'm not sure what to do about it.

18. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Do they look like the scales are torn? And like they're superficially skinned? Are you finding pieces of scale in the enclosure?

I saw your thread, I'll respond on it. :) That way things don't get confusing. Did you put pics up yet?

19. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

glad he is progressing! Good job!

20. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Okkkiee, I responded on my thread.