This Disappears When Logged In

My Vivarium Setup

Discussion in 'Vivariums' started by HerpFanatic, Mar 16, 2012.

1. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

So many of you know our newest rescue Kate a CWD had passed away. I made the mistake of setting up kate in with my mother. Well my mother got attached. Kate looked like she was doing better, So I had started buying live plants, soil, screen, a repti-fogger, stones etc. All to put in her tank when she got better. Well she took a turn for the worst and now I had all this stuff.

So I went ahead and I set up the vivarium, and I wanted to share the out come with you guys.

As you can see here in this photo I have dual digital temperature gauges set up. One for the warmer side of the tank and one for the cool side of the tank. The one on the cool side of the tank has the hydro meter built in. You can also see where I put a layer of stones for the water to run off of the soil. There is a layer of fiberglass screen between the two. The soil is a mixture of plantation soil and potting soil. With the very top a layer of nothing but plantation soil.

IMAG0502.jpg

This one here is just a direct view into the vivarium.
    IMAG0504.jpg

This is a view looking down into the vivarium to see everything. However you can not see the CWD as she or he is hiding. I just want to let it hide for now and not bother it to much.
    IMAG0512.jpg

So I went out and bought my mother a Chinese Water Dragon(this one seems healthy), Of course its up to me to make sure she does everything correct. Might as well say it is mine as I will do the feeding.

Attached Files:

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I can`t see too clearly, is it a screen top, and what are the heat/light bulbs? (Sorry for the questions, I`m incurably inquisitive).... ;)

3. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

Yes it has a screen top, I have two heat bulbs, One is an inferred red heat bulb for at night. The one you see lit is a zoo med 75 watt basking bulb.

If you right click on the image and press view image it becomes bigger.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

How are you maintaining the humidity with the screen top (even with the fogger)?
    I think it would be nice if you could add a few (thicker) climbing branches to use the available space above ground.

5. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

I am going to be adding more thicker logs soon, I am going out to get them tomorrow or sunday. Right now I am maintaining the humidity by spraying every few hours and the fogger helps a lot. I think the soil when fully dampened will help a bit as well. It is still fresh and soaking up moisture.

Thanks for the ideas and keep more coming.

6. Johnny

Johnny Elite Member

Like murrindindi brought up, you might really want to consider covering up the top with something that's going to keep your humidity up without you having to worry about spraying all day at intervals.
    The enclosure looks great though, kudos!

7. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

Well I did cover it up a bit however It held in to much heat at that point. How do you cover it up and control the heat?

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

9. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

Yes, I have a UVB light...

10. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

And it has now come out.
    IMAG0516.jpg
    I said it because I do not know if it is male or female at this point. We did not even choose a name as of yet.

Attached Files:

11. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Hello little cutie,:) who has not been named yet! lol

12. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

The CWD in the picture, Its hard to pick a name when I don't know if it is male or female. So I am trying to think of a name that can go either way.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, I think you should cover as much of the screen as possible, leaving spaces only for the heat/light bulbs, the easiest way is to use a piece of plexiglass.
    Is the screen between the UVB tube and the animal, if yes, that will cut down on the ammount getting through (what diameter are the holes in the screen)?
    As far as the temps being too high, use a lower wattage bulb, which will also help keep the humidity up.

14. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

Right now the temps are staying 85f on the warm side and 78f on the cool side. The humidity sits around 70%. I am currently using 75watt bulbs. So it seems as if it is starting to balance out.

I have a rheostat that I made I will plug that in and adjust the wattage to the lights and try to recover the top again. Trying to move slowly as I am doing things to not disturb the little eco system. There is no way for me to put the exo-terra light hood inside the tank it is made to sit on the top. Moisture and electricity is never a good thing. If I put any in a tank with 75% humidity it will build up condensation and short out. So I will leave the lite on top. Now in my bearded dragon tanks the lights are on the inside as that is a dry environment and I never spray water.

Thank you as always for the suggestions

15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I understand about the fluorescent light fitting being designed to sit on top, it`s just that you`re losing some of the UVB because the screen`s in between, but because there`s very little heat from it, you can place a branch quite close to it;12 to 15 cm (5 to 6inches).
    What`s the surface temp at the basking site?

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I often use place names for my animals, you could use "Cochin" which is the latin name (pronounced Kochin chinus), not pretty I know, but I have a limited imagination... ;)

17. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

Right now the vine is attached just below the bulbs. So he/she can get as close as he/she wants.The basking site is around 90f. I am going out with my boys and doing some field herping at the local state park and will be grabbing some bigger branches tomorrow. Then I have to clean them and what not before I put them in.

lol, I will be picking a name in the next few days, Right now, I just call him little buddy. lmao

18. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

you do realize that the enclosure he needs as an adult is roughly the size of a refrigerator? It's a lovely home, but hardly permanent.

19. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

Yeah I know that, when he/she leaves this setup in about 6 to 8 months I am putting Red Eyed Tree Frogs in it. I knew from the get go this is was only temp tank. Currently he/she is only 6 inches nose to tail.

20. Terp91

Terp91 Elite Member

Not sure what you tried before to maintain humidity, but you could use a piece of plexi or plywood with cut-outs for the lights. If you find that the plywood holds too much heat in then try a slightly lower wattage basking light.