This Disappears When Logged In

My Two Big Beauties

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by uvreptilenh, Mar 17, 2015.

1. uvreptilenh

uvreptilenh Well-Known Member

Levi - male albino burmese python & Ursula - female boa constrictor

Attached Files:

Mattersmore29 and DragonSlayer like this.
  2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing!

uvreptilenh likes this.
  3. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

WOW, big :)

uvreptilenh likes this.
  4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Gotta love the biguns, lol. Must have been a handfull getting set up for those shots.

uvreptilenh likes this.
  5. uvreptilenh

I got a workout that day... between the two of them there's about 80lbs of snake. lol

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Wait till that burm gets a little bigger. I had a female that was about 80lbs on her own, and all muscle. Good thing she was calm for the most part.

7. uvreptilenh

Males tend to stay smaller, and we suspect he's of some sort of dwarf genetics (no real history, all my animals are rescues) he's about 12 years old and only about 10' total length. He's also not obese, which is a common problem in soooo many of these guys in captivity.

8. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

I would say that those two are certainly a handful if not more than a handful. But you looked like you were having fun too.

uvreptilenh likes this.
  9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And just to point out to any possible future keepers, handling snakes that size does require having back up close by in case of a problem.

TamJam, Darkbird and uvreptilenh like this.
  10. uvreptilenh

ABSOLUTELY! I always have a second person within shouting distance while handling or feeding. My fiance has had to grab the vodka to help convince a large angry snake to let go of me on at least one occasion.

Merlin likes this.
  11. BrownFoundling

BrownFoundling Established Member

They dislike the taste of the alcohol? Or is it something else?

12. uvreptilenh

Yes, it's foul tasting and has that "cold" feel to it as it evaporates... far more effective than just running hands under cold water to get snake to let go IMO.

13. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

They're gorgeous!

uvreptilenh likes this.
  14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The alcohol also has a bit of a burn to it.

uvreptilenh likes this.
  15. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Ah, for some reason I was thinking female. And I haven't heard of any dwarf genetics with burms, only retics. That's actually a good size for a male.

uvreptilenh likes this.
  16. uvreptilenh

Especially on open bleeding wounds... I think it sucks more for me than for the snake. DO NOT use rubbing alcohol - it is toxic if ingested. We use cheap vodka or grain alcohol... only had to do so twice in the last 6 years (same snake both times - a 7' argentine boa with a nasty attitude)

17. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

They really are very beautiful...but what a handful! Even if you had someone else close by like taking the pics, I think one large snake at a time would be best! And it is possible that you would not even get a chance to cry out, if one of them decided to "get even" suddenly.

Of course, it looks dramatic for the pictures and I understand the fun of it. But again, this is not advised. Even with the vodka.

And again - absolutely gorgeous snakes, especially the boa!

uvreptilenh likes this.
  18. uvreptilenh

It should be noted that this is not my typical handling practices with them... and not to say that something couldn't possibly happen, but I accept responsibility for any mishaps that should happen. Generally, I do not handle 2 large snakes at a time... this was an exception, and it went without incident. Both snakes were very calm and relaxed the whole time, so I felt that it was safe to pose with them in this way for the picture. This is not something I would do in public, nor would I have continued to do so if either snake showed any sign of stress/upset/irritation (Levi is really vocal/hissy when he is annoyed)

TamJam likes this.