This Disappears When Logged In

My Turtle Scratches His Shell Too Much.

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Sk8gal, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sk8gal

Sk8gal Elite Member

Shadow, my red eared slider, is scratching his shell a lot on a rock.
    he seems to enjoy it, but over the last few weeks, it seems he's scratched off the green color of his shell. In fact, his shell looks...white. Soldier is beginning to do this also. Will they be alright?

P.S. Jimmy has about a week left of his quarantine, then I'll put him in with the other turtles.

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

It could be 2 things. Hopefully they are shedding there scutes. On the other hand it could be shell rot. I know from your past posts that your set up is just as it should be, if you can maybe take them to a vet and have them checked out.

3. Sk8gal

Sk8gal Elite Member

It's kinda wierd, I actually saw my turtle scratching himself and little green shavings coming off. He's acting quite normal, though. I'll post pictures when I find my camera.
    I looked at shell rot pictures on the internet, Shadow and Soldier's shells are not bleeding or red though, maybe just scute shedding.

4. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

That doesn't sound like scute shedding at all. It sounds like their scraping their shells too deep, possibly to the bone. I'd remove the rock. If the rock is essential because it holds up a basking area, then replace it with one that they can't scratch themselves on. If it's just decor though, it ought to be removed, just to be safe.

5. Sk8gal

Sk8gal Elite Member

I have a dock for them. The rock provides shelter for feeder fish, just to give them a chance to live. It doesn't look like the turtles are scratching to the bone. It isn't deep, it just looks like the turtles are scratching the color off. I'll get pictures in soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.