This Disappears When Logged In

My Turtle Isnt Eating

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by turtle, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

That is the strangest advice from a vet that I have ever heard.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If he can't tell how far advanced the RI is, exactly how can he tell it doesn't need antibotics. Something is very fishy here!

For a respiratory infection the turtle should have been given antibiotics, not vitamins and baths in SOUP!

Bathing the turtle in soup has got to be one of the goofiest things I have ever heard.

You need a new vet. One that actually knows about turtles!

3. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

It doesn't sound like any soup I'd want. :/

4. turtle

turtle Active Member

Ok well i finnaly decided to post this......... We payed 200$ for vitamins but the moment we came home well..... he passed away. We buryed him under a tree in the middle of the night. I've cried for a month and i still feel sad when he comes up in a conversation. I just Felt that maybe you should kno what happened. I thinks its HORRIBLE how pet store owners sell turtles and dont say anything about them and lie to you how "easy" they are to take care of.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm sorry to hear that - At least now you have a better knowledge base to work with if you ever try turtles again.

Pet shops often are just in it for the buck - they just want to sell you the animal, and all of their overrated (and sometimes downright dangerous) products. They just want the cash - many (not all, mind you) could care less about the animal's welfare, and if it gets sick, you might just be inclined to come back and buy their cure-all supplement and vitamins.

6. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I'm so sorry! That's truly terrible, and I am very very sad for you. I hope, though that you will not want to give up on reptiles and will hopefully do lots of research so you know how to take good care of your future pets. You did what you could, and I'm sure your turtle knew you were trying to help him.

7. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman Elite Member

Man, that's terrible. My turtle is about 20 and had a similar RI two years ago - he wouldn't eat, was very lethargic, had no color, etc... I didn't know about UVB then and he never had UVB before, but I got him a UVB bulb and my vet (who is AWESOME) gave me some antibiotic shots to give him everyday. He started eating after the second day of shots and UVB and has been doing great ever since.
    A good vet is key to keeping a healthy reptile...

8. vickycavanagh

vickycavanagh Member

this happend to my little boy after we had moved to a new house we took him to the vet and the vet told us he had a turtle cold (lol) he simply gave me some shots to put in his leg and my female sharing a tank with him and after a wile he got better and started eating again :D