This Disappears When Logged In

My Turtle Isnt Eating

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by turtle, Mar 19, 2010.

1. turtle

turtle Active Member

A little bit yes.

2. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

heat is really important! If the temps drop too low, reptiles cannot properly digest food which will stop them from eating and slow them down incredibly! And without the proper UVB lighting many new problems arise and trust me, a vet bill for a sick animal will be much higher than the cost of buying these now... Plus the risk of losing the turtle!

I hope everything is sorted out soon!

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats just an aquarium color light. It does NOT emit UVB and is not what your turtle needs.

4. turtle

turtle Active Member

we bought a infrared heat lamp 50wat by zoo-med

A repti glo 5.0 uvb 13wat it also gives uva

Do i need to keep the heater on if i hav the 50wat infa-red light?

Will this help him?

5. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Yes you still need the heater for the water. A 50 watt bulb is not going to keep an entire tankful of water heated to the temp your turtle needs. And yes, getting the uv bulb and an extra source of heat will do wonders for your animal. Has he eaten lately? Does he seem more active with the lights on?

6. turtle

turtle Active Member

thanks, and yes he seems WAY more active but hasnt eaten yet sadly. I guess we just have to give it some time considering we got it 2 hours ago. one more active thing is he used to go on the filter but since he stopped eating he hasnt and now im stalking him while he is know sitting on it.

7. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

his body is just warming up and he is focusing on getting in some much needed basking! This will make him feel so much better and he'll eat again!

8. hennisntacanibal

Agreed. If he's active, he'll eat. Just give him time.

9. turtle

turtle Active Member

Thanks for helping me through it, i visted every animal clinic in the area only 1 quarter of them could help reptiles and it cost about $90 for a diagnose at the one you guys posted in guelph.

10. hennisntacanibal

We are happy to help! Though if he continues not eating, the vest thing to do is take him to the vet. But now that it seems all your husbandry issues are taken care of, hopefully you'll have a happy turtle once more!
    Oh, and we're photo fiends around here, so if you get the chance, post some pics!

11. turtle

turtle Active Member

ok as soon as I can, and btw a saw these yellow aquatic turtles at the pet store any ideas what they are?

12. hennisntacanibal

Could be painters. "Yellow" isn't much of a description :)

13. turtle

turtle Active Member

Ok, now i am completly depressed. He still isnt eatung he was throwing up yesterday at night. I am taking him to the vet.

14. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

How is he throwing up if he's not eating? See if you can get a basking temp (right under the warm light).

15. turtle

turtle Active Member

well he sits right under the infa-red light

16. turtle

turtle Active Member

Ok, so we took him to to the vet so turns out he has a case nemounia but he cant tell if its early or later in the stages.He gave him vitamen D, B and he explained more than i could ever imagine about turtles, he gave me the 2009 reptile product guide and here is the most queer thing in the world. For 7 days bathe him in beef broth and v8 juice so he might drink som of it. He just might make it thorugh :)

17. turtle

turtle Active Member

Let me tell you after shots my res isnt exactly energetic. I put him under the 50w infa red lamp and he's just chillin :D

18. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Wait, he has pneumonia (also known as a respiratory infection) and you didn't get antibiotics? Or was that one of the shots? Beef broth and V8 juice? Is this guy for real? WHY.

19. turtle

turtle Active Member

he got lots of vitamen shots and he is wiped out litteraly. Apparently he isnt to far in the pneumonia and he dosent need anti-biotics just LOTS if heat so he told us to make it 32 celcius. Im not sure about the beef broth and v8 juice but we should wash him afterwards and do the thing 2 times a day for 10 minutes and yeah he's a proffesional . The bill was only $129 (canadian) suprisingly.

20. hennisntacanibal

Weird. Any sort of infection needs antibiotics. I suppose the nutrition in that stuff might be good for him, but not all the sugar and fat. But hey, what do I know? I'm not a vet. Yet.